HD Radio

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I finally broke down and got a HD Stereo CD Receiver. I installed it yesterday (Saturday) in about an hour and I must say it is GREAT! The sound quality is as good as CD's if not a little better. I got a JVC HDR1 unit that has the HD and CD all built in. Great unit. Upgraded my speakers with some Infinity Reference series 6X8 two way speakers.

Dave :D

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
HD Radio is sort of new, like HDTV. The idea is the same, higher definition music. It uses digital transmission of the signals on the FM band (or AM band) to provide coverage. It is very much like satellite radio (Sirrus or XM) in that you have a very good signal or nothing. No fading or fuzzing. You can think of it just like HDTV.

Dave

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
HD Radio is sort of new, like HDTV.

That explains why I have not heard of it. Should be available in Alaska by 2014:dizzy . We stay right up to date here. It would be nifty if we could get satellite radio up here someday:watchout .

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HD radio has been out a few years....theyre just trying to turn up the
heat a bit cause theyre loosing customers to sat-radio.

crumm....your problem is your living too far north for satellite reception...

dpantazis

Reaction score
i have had HD radio at the house for almost a year now. i am in chicago, so the market is a little bit bigger that some places.

the sound quality is great, problem is that the programming sucks. even in chicago the programming is lacking.

the other thing is the lag of the processing in the radios. if i have the HD on regular radio station, and another one on somewhere else in the house, there is this wierd delayed stereo effect as the HD radio takes like 1/2 second to process the HD signal while the analog radio has no decoding just plays.

dp

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The XM part of my Pioneer took a dump, any time you turn to XM it shuts the unit off, CD or FM plays fine. I was trying to decide if I want XM or get the HD???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg