HD radio

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok anybody know anything about hd radios I'm looking at a couple one is HD ready and you have to buy an additional tuner to get HD but the other has the HD tuner built in so its all I need but the one with the tuner says it will not fit my truck while the one that needs an extra tuner will fit but the spec guide show that they are the same size so does the HD need a speacial antenna is that the reason why it won't fit our truck?:dunno

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Dual HD radio in my truck. It has a front side USB and AUX inputs. Bluetooth for the phone ($50 extra) and pushes my big Kenwood box speakers behind the back seat real well. Troy State University is the only local HD station (classical/talk radio) but when I get away from here, particularly Atlanta, there are tons of HD stations. The clarity and depth are truly amazing for over the air broadcast. In my opinion it sounds better than a CD. I particularly wanted the USB input as I've loaded a ton of songs on my 8 Gb stick and listen to what I want to listen to when I'm driving. The model number is XHD6425 and Crutchfield has it for sale for $149 right now. Comes with an installation kit free when you buy it from Crutchfield. Went right in in about an hour. No special antenna is needed. I am very happy to say the least. I have been buying Kenwood and Sony products for a long time but they don't seem to last longer than a year. The remote is very handy also.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is no special antenna needed for HD Radio. I replaced my factory radio with a HD unit, so it is all in the dash. I then added XM Satellite radio, also in the dash. I like HD Radio.

Dave

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
93turbo, I believe your issue is going to be with the depth of the the radio. Are you putting it in the '96 or the '93? The radio I have won't fit in the '96 due to the depth per Crutchfield's website.

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks Hawkdrive on crutchfields web site it showed the radio I was looking at would fit our truck and it was on sale came with free mounting, wiring, and shipping and was in stock the one you showed was not but thanks again

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to help. Yea, I see the one I have is out of stock right now. Price went down to $139 also. I was going to check on the fitment for an '03 but you already did. Good luck on the install.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Before you buy, you might want to make sure there is a station worth listening to. Not all stations are HD. You can find out HERE where it lists most of the HD radio stations nationwide. Myself, there is no HD station near me worth listening to. The only HD radio station near me is a PBS station that plays talk or classical concert music.

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the thing is its only $20-$30 more to buy the same radio with the tuner built in as opposed to buying an HD ready radio and having to buy a $100 tuner later on and I can only see more stations going to HD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14