Head Gasket Replacement

jason741

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So, Just so that I am prepared in the future, (knock on wood) how much does it cost to take in a 2004 6.0 for a blown head gasket?
I understand that they have to remove the body and what not, but, just curious. Also, how long does this process take?

Jason

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm like you, no gasket replacement, yet. I also don't know the cost, but the time frame should be less than 2 days for someone familiar with the job. As for the body coming off, the heads will come out from under the hood with the cab on. Someone will reply back and firm up costs and time, hope this helps, a little.:)

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
i have been told by my ford dealer around 1400.00 for labor. the ford gasket kit, which comes with a host of replacement gaskets for all the stuff they have to remove to get to the heads and it also includeds the factory head bolts, (which i would not use, do head studs) is around 400.00.

jason741

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I had takin my truck into a 4 wheel drive shop here in town and the guy told me that I would blow a head gasket if I use any programmer other than the "Quadzilla" due to the fact that it is a different form of programmer?
Anyways, he told me that Ford has to remove the body to replace the head gasket and it costs around $10,000 with 25 hrs. of labor. My truck surged a little and he said it was definatly the egr valve. He said it costs about $800.00 for the part and to do it under warranty.
Thanks to this forum, i did a little studying and replaced my fuel filters. I think it helped the problem. I also took off the egr valve and cleaned it.

Thanks!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I had takin my truck into a 4 wheel drive shop here in town and the guy told me that I would blow a head gasket if I use any programmer other than the "Quadzilla" due to the fact that it is a different form of programmer?
Anyways, he told me that Ford has to remove the body to replace the head gasket and it costs around $10,000 with 25 hrs. of labor. My truck surged a little and he said it was definatly the egr valve. He said it costs about $800.00 for the part and to do it under warranty.
Thanks to this forum, i did a little studying and replaced my fuel filters. I think it helped the problem. I also took off the egr valve and cleaned it.

Thanks!

good lord what a bunch of crap these guys SPEW...let me guess
the shop you went to only sells quadzilla !?!

the egr valve is 150 bucks (retail) and you can buy 'em on ebay
for less than 75...takes about 15min to change it out.

and how ANYONE could know whats wrong w/ a truck w/ out
putting a code scanner on it is beyond ME !

find another 4wd shop...one that doesnt deal in FUD <fear, uncertainty
and doubt>

rathbone

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Why not just upgrade the stock head bolts to the arp head studs now? Remove the valve cover and replace one at a time. And your set. Thats what I was doing when the Mitsubishi Evo's came out at my shop.

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can replace one at a time. I believe the back ones will hit the firewall and cannot be removed with the heads on the engine. I've heard of people removing all the bolts that they can get out, then losten the back ones, pull them half way up, fasten them in the head with a rubber band, and then remove the head with the back bolts sill in it. Then replace it the same way. I just can't verify this myself.

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
And FWIW i have not seen an EGR go bad yet, usualy they just need to be removed and cleaned.

1 electrical connector, 2 10mm bolts and a can of bake clean and you are good.

bowtiehatr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i have replaced egr valve upon egr valve due to backpressure pushing them open. and to do head studs properly guys, the engine needs to be pulled. the mls gaskets leave sealant on the deck surface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14