Head Gasket

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure this is a dumb question but how would you know if you had a Blown Head Gasket. I am examing every possibility of were the sound of air is coming from. And why it sounds like a blow off valve when the truck shifts and looses all boost pressure even though I am still on the peddle and having to start over from 6 PSI.

I have put all boost tubes on with all new clamps. I have taking the IC tubes off and the Y-pipe and put everything back together. There is no oil on the outside of the boots so there is no leak coming from them. Just wondering what I need to do.

Next step I think is to go to DI and have them do a ride along with me, that way they can hear what it sounds like. Maybe they can think of somewere to look. Have checked the exhaust to see if I can see any black and they are all clean to the turbo. But sounds like an exhaust leak at low speeds and gets louder as you speed up. But seems like once the engine is warm the sound goes away until you build boost again.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pressure test the coolant system or.
chemically test/"sniff" the coolant for combustion gasses !

if youre hearing a blow by its a boost / turbo leak or exhaust leak !

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen that pressure tester on Diesel Site. Think I just need to invest in one of them. Sure that will help a little.

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have seen that pressure tester on Diesel Site. Think I just need to invest in one of them. Sure that will help a little.

Wow surely dont waste youre money. If you hear a boost leak its surely a boost leak. Besides head gasket failures and 7.3 dont go in the same sentence. IM sure if you hear a loud air rush noise on hard accel than you prob do have a boost leak. Have a buddy set the parking brake and the put it in drive and powerbrake the crap out of it while you listen and feel around for leaks.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a buddy set the parking brake and the put it in drive and powerbrake the crap out of it while you listen and feel around for leaks.

Wow that sounds like fun :lmao Right now I am up for any suggestions. It is getting to the point of water dripping all night long and you can't sleep. I think about it all day long and try to think of all the different places air or boost could be leaking at.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok have found a video of another truck that has the same sound when I am running down the road building boost and then the truck shifts. Listen for the PPPSSSSTTTTTTT. Is this normal, have never heard another truck do this. In my truck though it is loud when it does this.

The Blow off Sound

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So I re-read youre concern, How much boost are you making?Are you lacking power? Is this noise recent or has it arose from any mods? Im not yanking your chain, I work on these things everyday and I would like 2 help.

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
okay heard it and yes its okay with mods.You would never hear a stock 7.3 sound like that but its just boost coming back through the intake, Its notorious for a 6.0 with a sticking turbo but if youre 7.3 is modded up then thats the cause.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the Exhaust back pressure valve <spitting the vac/boost
back after he lifts off the throttle from a heavy throttle>

a "sticking" turbo....hardly ! not on a 6.0 or a 7.3 !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg