Head Gasket

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
sounds like the Exhaust back pressure valve <spitting the vac/boost
back after he lifts off the throttle from a heavy throttle>

a "sticking" turbo....hardly ! not on a 6.0 or a 7.3 !

Wow you really know what youre talking about. How about the vanes of the turbo on a 6.0 smart guy(VGT),they get rusted or coked and bind up or stick-and I said sounds like that (he's over boosting). I think I might know what im talking about being a ford master diesel tech?

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I re-read youre concern, How much boost are you making?Are you lacking power? Is this noise recent or has it arose from any mods? Im not yanking your chain, I work on these things everyday and I would like 2 help.

I have had this what sounds like a blow off ever since I bought the truck. Figured it was the old boost tubes because I could rub under them and feel nothing but oil. So I new it was leaking around the boots. Changed them and now everything is clean but still have sound. It sounds like it is coming from somewere on the driver side about were my feet are. But that is sitting inside. Thanks for the help

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow you really know what youre talking about. How about the vanes of the turbo on a 6.0 smart guy(VGT),they get rusted or coked and bind up or stick-and I said sounds like that (he's over boosting). I think I might know what im talking about being a ford master diesel tech?

vanes that stick are something DIFFERENT ! and they DONT sound like THAT !
sticking vanes dont make the "fart" sound when you let off !

youre showing youre LACK of experience and knowledge....like too many
ford "mechanics"

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the Exhaust back pressure valve <spitting the vac/boost
back after he lifts off the throttle from a heavy throttle>

a "sticking" turbo....hardly ! not on a 6.0 or a 7.3 !

Thanks Bush new you would be here to help. I am not over boosting the boost gauge will hit 24 PSI and then start fluttering really bad then down to 6 PSI.

See I don't lift off the throttle if I am in it hard I roll out of the throttle untill at the desired speed.

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Im not there to listen to youre truck or drive it but you say it sounds like THE TRUCK in THAT video you posted then thats where I would head. Youre boost cheat is just telling the wastegate not to release excess boost but it needs to to an extent. Too much boost cant all fit in the combustion chamber with stock valvetrain you know? If it sounds like a blow off valve as you stated in youre original concern then I would lean towards the intake you are running which would be a normal characteric of a aftermarket intake on a 7.3.I gotta get to bed but ill check tomorrow to see what you found.

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
vanes that stick are something DIFFERENT ! and they DONT sound like THAT !
sticking vanes dont make the "fart" sound when you let off !

youre showing youre LACK of experience and knowledge....like too many
ford "mechanics"

Wow because ive only worked on nothing but ford diesels for I dunno 5 yrs.
What I said bush if you watched his video which I hope you did before coming at me like this is that is an exact symptom a 6.0 with sticking turbo vanes will make.Let me explain it to you real quick. 6.0's have a Variable vane turbocharger as im sure you know,the idea behind it is to make an efficient turbo that can act as large turbo and a small one as well to take away low end turbo lag and in turn make more low end torque. What happens is(and believe me ive had at least 100 of these off since 03) the vanes get corroded and stick/sieze. The vgt actuator(its nothing but a electronically controlled valve that controls oil flow the the piston in the turbo to move the cam which in turn rotates the unison ring to open and close the vanes) is controlled by the pcm and and is an output ONLY. Just because the pcm tells the vgt to go to 85% doesnt mean that it physically can-just like a ipr valve. What we had the joy of experiencing in 03 was our first taste of sticking turbos on bone stock trucks,driving down the freeway or hard accel then hearing the "fart" noise as you would put it and it is boost coming back through the intake. Not a common sound for a 7.3 but I used it as an example and you ran with it. And by the way I do know what im talking about but I wouldnt disagree with the most ford tech's comment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg