Head gaskets again????????????

dukeyaz

2004 F350 LWB 4X4
Reaction score
Fan pulley cracked, belt broke and damaged the lower crankshaft pulley seal. Took it to San Tan Ford to have the seal repaired.

Picked truck up at 4pm on Thursday. Hooked the 5th wheel trailer up and was heading to Payson at 4PM on Friday but only made it to beeline and bush hwy (less than 50 miles) before the temp gauge suddenly jumped up. Filled degas bottle after a bit and limped her home (stopping to let it cool if it got above 240 and adding water if needed. We didn't get home until midnight.

Now they are telling me my head gaskets are blown. I am calling bull... I just pulled the same trailer to Malibu California without any over heat issues.... They pull the radiator and now I have an overheat issue....

Anyone have any suggestions?????????

I love my truck but seriously tired of constantly fixing it

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check to make sure the radiator cap, degas bottle cap(same thing) is working right before you do another thing.
A new $5.00 cap can change things a lot.
Doug

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a problem with mine the first time I had the head studded, and it was a crack in number 8 cyl. No one working on the truck seen it. It was not till they pulled the motor it was found. Also Look and see if there is bubbles running in the Degas bottle with the motor running.

dukeyaz

2004 F350 LWB 4X4
Reaction score
I know the cap is good. Got the burns on my arm from checking to see why it wasn't "boiling"....
Going to shop around and have a diesel shop do it instead of the dealer

dukeyaz

2004 F350 LWB 4X4
Reaction score
I have a bullet proof egr cooler and external oil cooler, ARP studs, 4" exhaust, Banks big hoss hoses and inter cooler (no tuner since Nov 2009, last time head gaskets failed). The rad cap is a year old.
Besides the crank pulley seal they also another seal on the front, but I forgot the name of it.
Anyone pull an oasis report for me?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the water pump and the thermostat next, also check the hoses. I have seen them get sucked flat and stop coolant flow with the motor running. Turn the motor off and you see nothing wrong with them. When did the water pump and thermostat get changed last ?

Call over to Strictly Diesel talk to them see what they think.

Last edited:

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How thoroughly were your heads gone over when your stud work was done? And can you verify what was done to the heads.

dukeyaz

2004 F350 LWB 4X4
Reaction score
Truck was done last week, but due to other issues (son in hospital) I haven't picked it up yet. Hopefully grab it sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg