Heading For the Coast...Corrosion Control?

Zooka

Newbie to Diesel World
Reaction score
Each winter I head for deep South Texas (South Padre Island) for six months, towing my 33 foot travel trailer. The weather is great, the beaches are beautiful, but the salt air wreaks havoc with metal surfaces. I just purchased an '04 F350 PSD, 4x4 CC, and I'm a little concerned about the effects of the climate on my "new to me" truck. My F150 (traded for the F350) definitely looked "aged" underneath, and along with rinsing everyday when I come off the beach, what other products/processes would one recommend to stave off the rust?:dunno

Thanks,

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
The obvious answer would be to get it under coated.

The redneck way would be a health dose of diesel sprayed on the under carrige every couple of weeks. :D

Tbar

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The obvious answer would be to get it under coated.

The redneck way would be a health dose of diesel sprayed on the under carrige every couple of weeks. :D

Tbar

What Tbar sez.. and keep a good coat of wax on the top side surfaces.

When I was into "Dune'n" (Pizmo Dunes) we used 10/10 mineral oil on the under side, cheaper than Dezel.

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
There's not really a whole lot you can do, other than keeping the truck washed and waxed. Washing is actually the best thing you can do because you can look over the entire truck and notice problems before they get out of hand. My 2000 was a Minnesota truck, and the wheel wells show it. Keep the underside and wheel wells blasted out (bring lots of quarters with you and hit the local car washes).

Keep a couple of cans of WD40 on hand. Before, and after, you wash spray out every nook and cranny where water may hide (such as around outer window seals, bolts, wheel wells, etc) I have rust on my roof and around the rear outer window seals. Instead of trying to fix the rust I keep these areas sprayed with the WD. While not fixed, it's also not getting any worse.

Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14