Headlight Mod

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
Is there such a thing that i can make that will let both my high and low beams come on when the brights are on? I know Chevys can be rigged for this and be OK.
Will anything melt on our trucks b/c of the heat?

Thanks
Neal

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
It can be done but since both elements are in the same bulb your bulb life would be very short due to the excessive heat. I believe if you hold the turn signal lever back when your lights are on both the high and low beam will be on, just do it for ten minutes then go get yourself some new bulbs ;)

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
OK thats kinda what i was thinkin but wasnt sure. Just gettin tired of not havin enough light. Just seem like they aint very bright.
Thanks
Neal

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
The Chebys that do the mod have the low beams on the outside and the high beams on the inside. Up here when they came out they were very dangerous. Guys would drive along for hours with the high beams on(not much traffic up here)and when they would go to low beam there would be no light output due to the cold low beams frosting over with freezing fog or snow. Must have mod for a Cheby but not so good for a real truck..

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a brite-box on both my truck and the wifes jeep that do just what you want. I haven't noticed any difference in bulb life in the 8 or more years I've been using it. I got the pre made kit form Genos Garage. It's plug and play real easy to hook up and the extra light is really nice.

The kit on the jeep even keeps the fog lights on so you have fogs, low and high beams all on. Where we live it really helps.

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dieselpwrdredneck said:
OK thats kinda what i was thinkin but wasnt sure. Just gettin tired of not havin enough light. Just seem like they aint very bright.
Thanks
Neal
Did you try new bulbs & buffing your lenses?

MrTailLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be done but since both elements are in the same bulb your bulb life would be very short due to the excessive heat. I believe if you hold the turn signal lever back when your lights are on both the high and low beam will be on, just do it for ten minutes then go get yourself some new bulbs
AGREED!! we actually manufacture these and market them. check out www.highbeamkits.com (it takes you to our web site) for the 92-96 trucks we can have the factory fog lights come back on (lightning models) and be safe, but not the low and high beams. even the 97-07 F150 & 99-07 Super Duty trucks are like that. you can only SAFELY turn back on the fog lights with the high beams.

at the end of the month we are looking to advertise those high beam kits on this site and offer a discount to site members. we already do it for the coloradofans.com site, and it works real good for both parties.

MrTailLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i meant to add, i had a 92 F150 show truck with the true HID system, about $350 for a quality set now a days. this will give you the best light possible, and only draw about 35 watts from your stock system. simple install, and VERY bright. that is if your after bright lights that wont blind other traffic!

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Dieselpwrdredneck said:
Is there such a thing that i can make that will let both my high and low beams come on when the brights are on? I know Chevys can be rigged for this and be OK.
Will anything melt on our trucks b/c of the heat?

Thanks
Neal

i have rigged up mine to keep the fog lights on with the high beams, didn;t cost a dime. took about 15 minutes. steve racer mod

just a short bit of the info on this mod from the link.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:

MODELS THAT IT DOES WORK ON

** 12/01 and Later builds of 2002 Model Year
** 2003 Model Year with 7.3 liter Powerstroke (aka the "Jace Variant")
** 2003 Model Year with 6.0 liter Powerstroke (aka the "BisonFarmer Variant")
** 2004 Model Year (F-250?) (aka the "Specularius Variant")
** 2005 Model Year (so far)
MODELS THAT IT DOES *NOT* WORK ON

** SOME 11/01 and Earlier builds of 2002 Model Year
** 2001, 2000, 1999, etc Model Year
** Candian Vehicles / Vehicles with "DRL" Daytime Running Lights
** Non-Superduties, e.g. F-150

ANY vehicle with BLACK wire instead of Light Green with Black Tracer at Pin 13 of C270a. This is a good check, if you aren't sure about the build or DRL status of your truck. Pull the fusebox, check the wire color, and if it's a black wire STOP. The mod won't work. If I ever get my hands on a Canadian truck, I'll try to figure it out.

but haven't done anything to keep all 3 on at the same time.

the mod i did really increased my over all lighting at night.

neal, i know yours is a '94, but i thought this info might interest some others.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simmons Inaya