Headlight mods?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
I almost(almost) forgot Jerry carried them:doh:

Cut in anytime Rex:sweet

I will second or third a vote for gos.
spent tons o green with him on the 02 and some on my 06 and always get first rate service.

I keep asking him to drop in....

ryaneverk2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the GOSracing harness... HUGE improvement over stock. I also recently bought a set of Silverstars, but haven't installed them yet.

Here's a post by CPSS on TDS where he explains how he tested the headlight output with stock, harness, and silverstars:

CPSS on TDS said:
STOCK BULBS truck running inside shop

Battery voltage 14.39
Voltage at lamp socket 12.68
Current 1 low beam 4.5A
Light brightness at 10ft 2830 lux

Rewired lamp thru 30A relay, fused, and 12G wire directly to battery

Battery voltage 14.39
Voltage at lamp socket 14.28
Current 4.5A
Light brightness at 10ft 3770 lux

Next we tried SYLVANIA 9007ST Silver Star lamps

Stock wiring setup

Battery voltage 14.38
Voltage at lamp socket 12.69
Current 5.0A
Light brightness at 10ft 3100 lux

Rewired lamp thru 30A relay,fused,and 12G wire directly to battery

Battery voltage 14.39
Voltage at lamp socket 14.30
Current 5.0A
Light brightness at 10ft 4580 lux

So I think you all can see, the higher output of the Silverstar replacement lamps (or any other lamp upgrade for that matter) will really not be noticed untill you improve the wiring. There is a voltage drop on the stock wiring of almost 2 volts at the lamp socket. Any of the aftermarket relay/harness kits would work, or you can make your own for under $10.00.

So, from stock to just adding the upgraded harness moves you from 2830 lux up to 3770 lux. Add the silverstars to that, and you're up to 4580 lux!:sweet :cool: Not bad for about $85 for the harness and a set of silverstars.

I've thought about upgrading to the 02+ headlights (clear style), but don't really think it's worth it for me (they're already pretty bright, without even the silverstars), and I actually think the older style look better.:dunno :oops:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Don't forget when you up the light output it might be necessary to re-aim the lights. If the oncoming traffic is blinded by your lights not only will they flash you which is annoying but some of the less experienced or over-experienced drivers may be blinded by the light and wander into your lane. I like to see with good lights but I also like the guy I am meeting to be able to see.

JamesF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Big K - thanks for that link. I'm going to go get a diode tomorrow. I was wondering how to do that cheap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14