Heads up on removing your spare tire.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Coming home out of Prudhoe Bay yesterday I came across a old fella from Nebraska that had the misfortune of a flat tire. He was about 430 miles from civilization and could not get the spare out from under the truck. It was a 2006 F250. Before I got there he had read his manual and installed the spare tire key on the end of the jack handle. Problem was they key would not turn the tire lifting winch. Upon further inspection we came to the conclusion that a couple of years of dust and a little moisture had packed into the tube thus making the little stupid key worthless as it would not engage. We tried digging with a piece of bailing wire, blowing it out with a air hose and beating the key in over an over and over. After about a half and hour of this I was about ready to head underneath with a BFH and my cheater pipe to "remove" the plastic tube and locking mechanism when at the last minute the key engaged and the tire came down. Moral of the story is if you drive in dusty conditions like this Nebraska farmer then either clean out the locking mechanism once in a while or remove the stupid key thingie so that the jack handle will work without it.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off Crumm.. Thanks for stopping to help that "Old Fella" from Nebraska!! you did a good deed.. something thats not done to much these dayz.

I had the same issues with my 2K spare tire let'r down'r cranker up'r set-up. I wrapped the end of the tube with Duck Tape:dunno

JOE

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my truck, it did not come with a spare. I got the dealer to find a salvaged one, with a good tire. But guess what? No key. I looked at the winch and saw that you can remove the key receiver and you are left with a large receptacle that the bar fit right into and do the job.

Just a little muscle and the key piece comes right off.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I have a Buffalo lock

buffalo-lock.jpg

on the spare tire. Thanks Crumm for the reminder. I drive on dusty roads all summer and God knows how much dust is in the tumbler. I will attempt to remove it and will clean it out. Then once clean I'll reinstall it BUT with some tape covering the key hole. Oh BTW, good job on being a good samaritan. :sweet

On edit: The key hole was so packed with dry dirt that the key would not go in. Brake cleaner, WD-40 then some powdered graphite made it good as new in 3 minutes.

Last edited:

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Question????

Whats that "old fella" from Nebraska, doin up in Alaska?

Nebraska, Alaska. they kinda rhyme. reckon he thought he was in Nebraska, but really in Alaska??

Things that make ya go Hmmmmmmm.

:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Stephen sounds like you're :sauced

:D

Naaaa, i dont drink, so just havin some fun.

one way to eliminate the spare tire problem, is to remove the tire, tire wench, and install big ole train horns.

just remember to put the spare tire in the bed before long trips.

caravan.gif

X-Hibition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep my spare in the stock location with no problems at all. It never gets dirty.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
First off Crumm.. Thanks for stopping to help that "Old Fella" from Nebraska!! you did a good deed.. something thats not done to much these dayz.

Thats what we do up here in the last frontier :sweet

Whats that "old fella" from Nebraska, doin up in Alaska?

He was doing something called vacationing. I am not sure what it is all about but when i get to be a old feller I hope to figure it out.

All you have to do it pull the key piece out of the winch mechanism?

Yes. Just remove the plastic tube thingie then with a little prying the key thingie will come out.

I keep my spare in the stock location with no problems at all. It never gets dirty.

You Excursion guys have all the luck ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58