Headstuds - cab on or off?

MarcS

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done headstuds on their 7.3? Has diesel in the coolant, took off heads and machine shop pressure tested them once new injector sleeves installed, found them to not hold pressure. Bought bare castings, had the heads rebuilt and want to do headstuds while I'm in there. Can it be done with the cab on? A few headbolts had to come out with the head due to clearance and the studs are a bit longer, little worried if it can be done. Any takers?

sikodiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
personaly I have never done head studs on a 7.3. Have done many on 6.0 and on all the cab came off! If it was me i would pull the engine if you have the equipment.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Has anyone done headstuds on their 7.3? Has diesel in the coolant, took off heads and machine shop pressure tested them once new injector sleeves installed, found them to not hold pressure. Bought bare castings, had the heads rebuilt and want to do headstuds while I'm in there. Can it be done with the cab on? A few headbolts had to come out with the head due to clearance and the studs are a bit longer, little worried if it can be done. Any takers?

never really have needed to see it done..
the 6.0 uses a torque-to-yield bolt, therefore the studs are a better setup
I'd say for daily driver use, the 7.3 bolts would be good enough.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
headstuds in the 7.3 need the body to come up to do it properly :(

As JL mentioned Headstuds on the 7.3 are not really needed for a DD if you're upping the boost significantly or plan to in the future then they would be recommended.

Do you know why you originally got diesel in the coolant? From the sounds of your repair process it is from the injector cups failing.

While I'm all for upgrades I can't see doing upgrades for no real reason or benefit unless you just want to then it's perfectly acceptable because you can build that twin turbo, methanol sprayed, laughing gas breathing beast for a daily driver.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14