Question Heat stress on both batteries

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Just got back from a long road trip through the Mojave desert where it was way over 100*F. Seems that my charging system was stressed because the charging needle never got as far to the right as it does where I live. I was so concerned that I would have a charging failure in the middle of nowhere that I had both batteries load tested in Tucson at an Interstate battery store. The result was that both were stronger than new batteries so my alternator is doing a great job. The heat stress vanished as I descended from Tehachapi summit (4000 ft) into the central valley and now that I'm home all is normal.

So my question is: Is this heat stress on the charging system normal in extreme heat?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I went to the University of Arizona, in Tucson, and I never had a charging problem that I remember. I remember running the AC every time I got into the car. No answers, but I have never heard any one use the term "heat Stress" with charging systems. The underhood temps do go up a lot! The regulator may reduce the charging amps, but I am not sure.

Dave

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also never had any charging issues (heat related or not) and I live in the Tehachapi area so I'm around the Mojave area all the time. My gauge never seems to change much once the glowplugs have kicked off. Cheers!

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
sounds like you are worring about nothing. Just because the needle doesent go as far right just sound like there was not a high demand on the elect. system the higher the needle goes the harder the alt. is working.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Perhaps, but after driving for over 12 hours in the desert heat the alternator coil wires absorbed the engine heat (heat sink) and electricity through very hot wires does not produce/carry as much current as cool wires can. Think about this. Why then are super conductors cooled with nitrogen? So I'm thinking it's not the batteries or the alternator that failed. It was just that the physics of electricity in hot conditions can't produce what it can in cooler conditions. Remember, once I got back in the central valley the temp had dropped considerably since it was getting dark and the charge needle resumed its normal charge position.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Makes sense hheynow. I guess I never noticed that. Why would you notice something that is normal in the desert.

Dave

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you notice something that is normal in the desert.

Because he's not normally there, and being a good driver he's paying attention to his gauges even though our dashes are full of moving idiot lights they can be helpful, even more because he is driving through an area that is notorious for finding weaknesses in vehicles.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my question is: Is this heat stress on the charging system normal in extreme heat?

Maybe yer SVO set up is drawing more than the Batteries can carry.. so the Alternator kicked in more.. due to the heat ?

Your theory sounds right.. but maybe you need to step up a series/group (or two) in battery amp capability ?

Just a SWAG to add to your quandary but :dunno

Joe

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Maybe yer SVO set up is drawing more than the Batteries can carry.. so the Alternator kicked in more.. due to the heat ?

The 12v heaters were never turned on the whole trip. It was so friggin' hot. The SVO heat was solely due to my coolant loop passing through a heat exchanger so there was no greater amp draw than normal and the entire trip home was without the A/C. Secondly I have an aftermarket alternator on steroids (200 amps) and the Interstate battery dude in Tucson said my charging system was perfect evidenced by the two load test results.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 12v heaters were never turned on the whole trip. It was so friggin' hot. The SVO heat was solely due to my coolant loop passing through a heat exchanger so there was no greater amp draw than normal and the entire trip home was without the A/C. Secondly I have an aftermarket alternator on steroids (200 amps) and the Interstate battery dude in Tucson said my charging system was perfect evidenced by the two load test results.

Well.. that sez it all, about that.

dunno.. i've pulled our 5r all over hell..made the Phoenix NASCAR via Needles run many times A/C on, charging the 5r Batts, lights on.. Never seen my needle move.

Heat Stress due to under the hood temps, is about it I guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg