Heavy White Smoke and loss of coolant

tractorman21

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions for some of the smart guys here on the forum.
I have a 2008 F-250 SuperDuty with the 6.4 motor and it has 57,000 miles on it.About 1 month ago it started blowing heavy white smoke and losing coolant.About every 4 days it would lose around 1/2 gallon of coolant.I took it to the dealer and after arguing about the coolant loss and where it went,they said the EGR Oil Coolers were bad.They replaced the coolers,the radiator and whatever else was bad and the service manager told the bill would have been around $5,000.00.Pretty costly repair i thought,good thing warranty covered it.
I drove the truck for exactly 1 month and it did the same thing again.Driving down the road on saturday,it lit the road up with smoke and lost 1 gallon of coolant.I replaced the coolant and drove it sunday and it did the same thing.Lit the road up with smoke,but only lost 1/2 gallon of coolant.
Took it to the dealer and after 2 days of testing and driving it,they say nothing is wrong with it.They can not explain the coolant loss,but said it's normal to lose some every now and then.They also said the heavy white smoke is normal.
Long story short,the dealer is not going to do anything with the truck.I am a little apprehensive about using the truck for work.I do landscaping and i pull a piece of equipment with me everyday.I don't want to get broken down somewhere,because the dealer can't do their job.
Does anybody have any idea what's going on with this truck? The dealer says the coolant can't go out the exhaust,so where is it going? It's not leaking fluid anywhere.The engine and radiator are as dry as a bone.
Any thoughts,or ideas?

Thanks...

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to another dealer, that dealer is a idiots. The EGR cooler is bad and it's cover by 100K warranty. Don't let them BS you. The cooler is leaking and the coolant is getting sucked into the exhaust and it turns in to steam and blown out the back.

Take a look at this site look for 6.4 Liter Ford Powerstroke-EGR Cooler Installation.wmv srmastertech's Channel - YouTube

I like this guys how to videos.

Last edited:

tractorman21

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Coolant Loss

Thanks Dogman for the reply and for the info. That is a pretty site and the videos are great.
I picked the truck up today,after 3 days of the Dealer telling me nothing is wrong with it.Their position is,that the truck is going through Regen and that it's normal for to lose a little coolant.They told me to check the coolant once a week,or if it does it again,drive it back to the dealer.They do not want me to add any coolant,just bring back as is.
The truck drives great and the motor is strong,i only hope it's not a sign of bad things to come.

Thanks again.

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 that dealer is a idiot if the egr cooler and oil cooler were replaced did they do a coolant flush, need gauges to tell ECT-EOT 6.0 max is 15* i think 10* the oil cooler is almost plugged from silicate drop out from the Ford coolant in the 6.0 it sucks.
2 stroker

Last edited:

Tbone

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
coolant lost and white smoke

Ok here is what i know We have two at the fire department on has 50k on it the other about 5k ya. The white smoke is the regen system it is burning out the soot in the filter system if you do not keep the truck above 45 mph until the regen resets it starts over and you have to dive the truck even longer next time. The system dumps extra fuel into the system to help clean the regen system this adds heat to the motor and system. As for the coolant loss we loss coolant all the time we were told is from going over 90 MPH was the cause we ended up just keeping an eye on it and adding small amount but not to full it dosnt seem to be a problem ye. although it is a question to wonder it blows the coolant out the radiator cap or over flow so you wont see a lot of moister from it.

The fix for the regen is buy a H&S pipe DPF Delet pipe kit and the DPF-R 4.0 programer from Gear box Z .com check them out

Good Luck

Tbone

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I should also mention if you delet the regen you void your warnty that.

Also i forgot to mention when your rig go into regen it dumps about a quart of diesel in you motor oil on anverage we have had up to a gallon of extra in our oil changes. That is why it is so important to change the oil on these trucks at the correct time and miles. :stir

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr