Hello Guys

twotonevert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an 07 King Ranch Super Duty. Love the truck, always wanted a Super Duty since I can remember. Finally got my chance. Previous owner added a few extras, Moto Metal wheels and Nitto tires, Bushwacker fender flares. I really want a tuner but after reading on the board for the last few days I cant make up my mind. I want the added power and fuel economy, but I want this truck to last for quite a few years. You guys have a great search feature, didnt know about the head studs, and I currently have an email out to Eric for the SCT tuner just to get some more information.
One question I do have after reading the boards threads, are all years 6.0's having issues with head bolts, or were the bugs worked out in the early years? I purchased the truck with 79,100 miles and the truck is pristine. I had some issues with my trailer lights, but after searching on the board, I found all my trailer fuses under the hood were blown. Thanks for the information and I look forward to talking to guys.

twotonevert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have tried to edit my sig but It wont show up. Do you have to have certain number of posts?

Never mind, got it. LOL

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:SDD2 twotonevert. Yes, they all need studs if you are going to chip it or run a tuner. The reason is that the engine was not designed to run more power with the stock head bolts. I am guessing that they did not know this when it was designed and they left out a head bolt on each cylinder, or two.

Dave

twotonevert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:SDD2 twotonevert. Yes, they all need studs if you are going to chip it or run a tuner. The reason is that the engine was not designed to run more power with the stock head bolts. I am guessing that they did not know this when it was designed and they left out a head bolt on each cylinder, or two.

Dave

Thanks for the information. Am I safe to run her like she is without adding a tuner? I would prefer to keep the truck stock for longevity, already has plenty of power, I was just hoping to increase the mpg above the 12.7 I am currently getting.

On a side note: How can I change the thread view to see my original post at the top of the page with the thread decending down? Right now, my post is at the bottom of the page with replys going up the page to the top?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You should be safe to run her without studs if you keep it stock. You can add an exhaust system if you want, but be careful if you remove the CAT. Keep it in a safe place so you can put it back on if needed. The factory air filter is very good, so don't replace unless you are going to make 500 HP. It should be fine up to 400 HP.I don't know about your posts, but I will look around.

Dave

twotonevert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be safe to run her without studs if you keep it stock. You can add an exhaust system if you want, but be careful if you remove the CAT. Keep it in a safe place so you can put it back on if needed. The factory air filter is very good, so don't replace unless you are going to make 500 HP. It should be fine up to 400 HP.I don't know about your posts, but I will look around.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I got a quote from my local diesel tuner for 350 for a cat back system. I had not planned to remove the cat, but install a free flowing muffler and go to a 4" exhaust. What are the advantages of removing the cat? Our state does not have inspections anymore so I should be ok, but will keep it if I do remove it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Removing the CAT will free up the exhaust a little bit more. I have to keep mine on here in California. You might try to change your display by going to "DISPLAY MODES" just above the posts on the Right hand side of the Blue line, above. I don't know if this is what you want, but this is all there is.

Dave

bigfred

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
new guy from n. cali

just wanna say whats up from sf bay area ,how do you post my truck as my avatar wanna show off my baby.

twotonevert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just wanna say whats up from sf bay area ,how do you post my truck as my avatar wanna show off my baby.

Click UserCP at the top right, edit avatar, then scroll down and upload the file of your choice, you may have to resize the picture to the board specs, then upload and save.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14