Hello, quick update. Well, okay, not quick. But quick by Hoss standards....

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Hey guys, me again. I just got back to work after a month on disability and that means I just got back in front of a computer again to write in and let you all know how I’m doing, in case any of you are wondering.

First off, being a guy that has lived my entire life proud of the fact that I earn my keep and never took charity off of anyone, it hurt my pride awfully to go on disability. I am still trying to come to terms with that.

That said, I left because my immune system stopped working entirely after I last wrote in. Just a few hours after my last posting, I found myself with a case of pneumonia, an ear infection that hurt so bad I went temporarily blind (no kidding) from the pain bursts in my eyes, and two cases of conjunctivitis (AKA pink eye). I have been on every antibiotic known to man for the last month of so, and am finally coming out of all of the infections. I came back to work yesterday.

Since I am not currently ill, I felt like I could get back to working, but the problem has not gone away. My white count is still very high, and my resistance to infection is most likely still non-existent. I still have plaque psoriasis on 90% of my body, including areas I don’t want to discuss in public, if you catch my drift. As a result, I am getting about 4-6 hours of sleep a night, because the itching keeps me awake.

I have been getting progressively worse since last spring, but the insurance company still won’t give me the medicine that I need because it is very expensive. They wanted me to try a bunch of other medieval treatments first before they would give me the good stuff. Friday before last, I finally finished all of the trials, and the doc wrote me the prescription.

Now, a week and a half later, the insurance company tells me that it could be another 14 working days before they can approve the prescription, because they need to eview all of the trials that I went through to make sure I am eligible. This confuses me, since they paid for all the other drugs, and were in contact with my doc through all of the trials, so why do they now have to make sure that I did them? They KNOW I did!!!

Anyway, at the end of the month, I should be able to start the medicine that will suppress my immune system and get it back in line with where it should be, so that it will hopefully quit attacking me and start attacking the things making me sick.

Good news is that so far, no arthritis and no other problems with internal organs, so that means that it is still just psoriasis and not psoriatic arthritis or auto-immune assaults on my vitals.

I am hoping that by spring I will be back to my old, happy self and that this will all just be a bad memory. Possibly end up like my back problems did earlier this year. Something I’ll always have to keep in mind, always have to take care of, but not something that really bothers me and definitely something I can live with.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Well Hoss, good to hear from you again, yes you have been missed! ;)
Sounds like no fun at all, but I hope you pull out of it all on the upper end. Thanks for the report and keep on kickin' :D

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Good to hear from you Scott, we have missed you and we hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

Best wishes and if there is anything we can help with dont be afraid to give a shout out.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Glad your back, Hoss. Hope you get everything square and feel better. And don't beat yourself up over being on disability, it happens all the time. Thats why its there. You work, pay taxes, contribute, your entitled to it.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Hoss;

2007 has been a bear for many people. I hope that 2008 will be good to you and everyone else. I am glad to see that you are back and feeling better. Keep a positive attitude and maybe 2008 will be a great year for all of us.
:)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
You hang in there and keep swingin', OK? Eventually you'll get a pitch to put over the fence.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, someone ask about you the other day, so yes you were missed and glad to hear that you are back. Ins. Co just plain SUCK. How long would it take if it was one of them or there loved ones. Fight them, Sue them, anything you have to do to get the treatment you need.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Yes, someone ask about you the other day, so yes you were missed and glad to hear that you are back. Ins. Co just plain SUCK. How long would it take if it was one of them or there loved ones. Fight them, Sue them, anything you have to do to get the treatment you need.

They are not denying me treatment, just making sure that cheaper treatments don't work before prescribing the expensive ones. By expensive, I'm talking 40K a year.

The only thing that I am angry at them about is the amount of time it takes to get a decision. That is just plain and simple dereliction, IMHO.

But the rest of the stuff, having to qualify first by trying other meds, etc, I cannot say I wouldn't do too, if i were in their position. If other, effective and less expensive treatments exist, I would totally demand that folks try them first before ponying up the dough. Many have found relief with the less expensive routes, and if the insurance company did not do this, insurance rates would skyrocket for all of us. THat, by far, is the greater of the two evils.

Now, if they decide to deny my claim after all of the crap I've been through, when i met their requirments that they set out beforehand, THEN I'll be pissed. But i do not expect that to happen. They wouldn't do that because it would violate the agreement and set them up for a good lawsuit.

Again, to date, the insurance company has been fine, totally within their rights to require stuff from me. I am just mad at the delay in the decision making process in this case.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Glad to see you back around and that you're doing at least somewhat better.

And yes, it was noticed you were gone and we were wondering how you were doing, poke HERE.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14