Hello

triegel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am Todd from Milwaukee, WI. I currently have '03 Dodge Ram 1500 and looking to upgrade to a Ford F250 to pull my Travel Trailer. Looking to see what kind of fuel milage I can expect from the new deisel powerstroke pulling 7,500#'s. Thanks

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I used to pull a mobile hearing testing trailer about the same weight. On the interstate I'd get around 10.5 to 11 mpg. The biggest factor will be the wind drag of the trailer.

My old hearing testing trailer was about 12' high. My camper is around 10.5' to 11'. I'm guessing I get about 12-13 mpg pulling my camper.

triegel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tail gunner, Is that the new diesel? The new diesel out this year has 400 hp and 800 foot pounds of torce. which should comput to better milage than the diesel that came from International.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Tail gunner, Is that the new diesel? The new diesel out this year has 400 hp and 800 foot pounds of torce. which should comput to better milage than the diesel that came from International.

His is an early 99 with a lot of run faster/jump higher mods..

Mine's a simple L99 with a chip.. I haul a 3500lb horse trailer with 3800 lbs of horses inside at around the 12-13 mark

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I was refering to a 99 with the early 99 7.3.

You didn't specify what year "new" F-250 you were getting and whether you were getting a 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 or a 6.7 engine.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, the 6.7's are a good engine and seem to get reasonable mileage however the towing mileage is not significantly above what the 7.3 was delivering. If you skim through this thread on pirate you'll find a few real world mileage numbers posted, just ignore the nonsense & cyber posturing.

Honestly it comes down to there are only so many BTU's in a gallon of diesel and it takes so much work to move the air around the truck and your towed load, there have been some efficiency differences but you're still not going to get 20 mpg towing uphill maintaining 80 MPH.

triegel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info BJS. I was a truck driver and owner operator for a long time. I understand about BTU's and uphill @ 80 don't compute to 65 on the flats. I am a relatively modest driver. Just looking for some real world common sence milage. The dealer said 18-20 not towing a trailer and slightly less pulling one. My dodge Hemi gets 12-13 and 7-8 pulling a 7,500# travel trailer. Looking to improve that singifacantly.

Thanks

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score

honestly i wouldnt give 10 cents for any of the new diesels.friend of mine has a brand new 2011 f350 diesel.has about 25,000 miles on it,more than half of the mileage was put on it by ford.he has entered into a class action lawsuit against ford about these trucks.has had nothing but problems with it mainly with the regen.it will not start in the winter unless its plugged in.he had to buy a cord for the block heater cuz it didnt come with one.has absolutely no heat unless the grill cover is used.keeps filling the crankcase with fuel.checked his oil the other day and its about a gollan over full :eek:.stalled during regen on an off ramp.he got rearended and a ticket for stopping on an off ramp.ford wont tAKE IT BACK AND HE CANT USE THE LEMON LAW SINCE AN F350 IS CONSIDERED A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE.

the dealers cant figure it out.the dealer he bought it from doesnt have a diesel tech so they sent him to another dealler.now the original dealer will not touch it for anything cuz he took it to another dealer.he hates the truck,and i mean HATES it.he is at the point where hes goin to buy a duramax.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14