Hello

DrewH

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Took it in and they found #3 cyl. low comp. & bad EGR cooler. It has around 57,600mi. Same cyl. they replaced the injector on before I bought it with 32,000 mi. The turbo had also been replaced.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your enine was not in that bad of shape. New rings and coolers should have fixed that or am I not seeing something here? You know your engine better than I do.

DrewH

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No, You're most likely right. Do the dealerships tear into the blocks?, and since the cylinders aren't sleeved once the walls are damaged isn't it game over?

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think the dealerships would tear into a block and rebuild if possible. It is much simpler to get a reman and put back in (it would have a warranty).

It depends on how bad the Cylinder scoring is. I seen engines that were rebored or just simply honed to remove the scoring with oversized rings installed. For piece of mind a reman is probably the way to go.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The dealer is not going to re-sleeve a cylinder. Way too much labor in tearing down and rebuilding the engine, which they have to pay for. It is easier and cheaper to get a remaned engine and R&R it.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58