Help Needed HELP 2000 4x4 down tranny woes

Ratfink

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
so my forward movement went out today just stoped then it feels like its trying to grab and it shakes and only goes 5-10 mph and if i hit gas it revs up but no movement help please need to get to class tommorow also reverse still works but no forward progress checked tranny fluid and its fine

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
sounds like you need to call AAMCO.

srsly.

it sounds sinister.

Potentialbuyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The most probable cause is the forward clutch. Forward clutch is used in all forward gears but not in reverse. A pressure test would confirm this. If your pump is good, you will have good pressure in park, neutral, and reverse but it will drop when you put it in drive. Line pressure at idle should be 50-65 in park or neutral, 70-100 in reverse, 50-65 in drive, and 70-100 in manual low (1).

Ratfink

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hmmmm there telling me i need a new tranny is that true

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
The most probable cause is the forward clutch. Forward clutch is used in all forward gears but not in reverse. A pressure test would confirm this. If your pump is good, you will have good pressure in park, neutral, and reverse but it will drop when you put it in drive. Line pressure at idle should be 50-65 in park or neutral, 70-100 in reverse, 50-65 in drive, and 70-100 in manual low (1).

What he said.;tu

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more than likely,

if you can spend a bit extra get one of the better built transmissions from BTS, Monsterbox, Suncoast, Racer-X, John Woods.

Since you're in Chattanooga RacerX is the closest, most of the above will be able to get you a transmission within the week if not the whole transmission the pieces to allow your shop to build a good trans for you.

Oh and make sure that when you get your new trans installed that the in radiator cooler is backflushed, and I'd suggest replacing (& upgrading) the oil to air cooler. To ensure that you have a good clean, and therefore efficient, coolers.

Potentialbuyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Flushing and/or replacing the trans cooler system is critical. Ford also recommends installing an in-line filter in the cooler line as well. The trans fluid goes to the lube circuit first after it leaves the cooler so if there is any contamination in there, it will ruin your fresh trans very quickly.

Ratfink

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
im looking at various tranny ppl hope i get a good one seeing a lot of 5k+ trannys i really dont wanna spend that much but i might have too

Potentialbuyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I looked at Jasper engines and they have a remfg 4R100 for around $2500. I don't know how you use your truck but a stock trans should give you good service. If you want upgrades that some of the performance outlets offer for your trans, then you are going to pay more. Your trans may be able to be rebuilt if you can find a competent shop to give you an honest estimate. If it still has reverse, most of the "hard parts" inside are probably still ok. New clutches, seals, bands, and bushings may be all your trans needs to get you back on the road again. If there are metal particles in the pan, then it will probably get expensive to rebuild. Many shops prefer to replace components such as transmissions because it relieves them of liability if the unit fails. Most remanufacturers will pay the installer to replace a defective unit if it fails.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simmons Inaya