HELP!! 7.3 IDI

Flyin W Cattle

Catahoula's Do It Better!
Reaction score
Okay Guys, See if you can help here...im at a loss.

88 F350, 7.3, 3spd Auto- truck is hard to start....really hard to start. Once you get it cranked..with lots of pumping the footfeed and cranking, it'll run
"fine". She makes decent power, and you'll be driving along, and WHAM! She'll start haulin butt, running super strong. Then, just as quick as it came, it goes, and you'll be back to just toodling along. Another big issue is- sometimes, you'll go to stop at a light, or something, and it will just start running like a big block gasser with a hugenormous cam. Then if you wrap it up a couple times, it'll go back to running just fine. Yes, I've check the fuel filter/water sep...changed the filter.
Recently put a new injector pump on, because the old one was throwing brass shavings into the system. Anyone around Tyler that could take a look at this thing? Im at a loss here, and its my only vehicle for work, and haulin the family.
903 283 4787- Wes ( thats muh number) I wont be on the computer for long, but if anyone has any ideas, please feel free to call and make suggestions!

Flyin W Cattle

Reaction score
Hmmmm....

Well, Thank ya fella's....checked both spots, used the ol soapy water, and visual inspection method....no avail. Still actin funky. Also, she likes to just stall out on me when I jump all over the accelerator...did it last nite on a hill. That was fun pushing it off the road. Also, kinda wondering why my last 7.3 smoked quite a bit more. This one, get that mid-gray smoke, and hardly nothing when Im accelerating or towing a trailer. The last one used to belch like nobodys bidnezz....could the darn pump be out of time? I matched the timing marks up..and thats where the old pump was set at. Ya'll, see what ya figure out, and lemme know, k? Thanks bunches!

geonc

my other 4X4
Reaction score
Have you tried switching tanks?

Is it more noticiable more empty vs more full {fuel tank}

When you changed the pump, did you replace/disturb the reurn caps?

Are all the steel lines at both inj pump and nozzles tight?

Hopefully you installed a new filter when you replaced the inj pump....is your filter the old style 2 piece with the screw on water seaperator?

You have a fuel delivery problem....when it starts to stumble...have you pressed the schrader valve on the filter?

When parked can you run the eng smoothly up to it's governed rpms?........
.......You won't hurt a thing by doing this:sweet

Flyin W Cattle

Reaction score
And Shes Fixed!!

Well...replaced the fuel pump, thinking that she wasnt getting enough fuel..even put in an inline electric pusher pump. Ran great for a couple days, but once it got down to about a quarter tank or so, theres the air again, and she'll run good for about fifty feet and then stall. Then we bleed the air again. Guess I'll just have to keep it full!! Anyone know of a water drain valve to put on the bottom of the tank? :)) LMDAO!
Would like to extend a HUGE thank you to all of you who responded, especially the last gent who asked about the relativity of the problem to the fuel level. Perhaps my guage is shot? Sending unit? Maybe its really empty when she reads 1/4 tank! Oh well. I'll just keep fuel in it. And with the price of diesel coming down every day here in east texas, maybe that's not a bad idea. Thanks again guys!!

Flyin W Cattle

Reaction score
P.S.- Would love to change tanks, but some idiot removed the front tank, dont ask me how I found out. :| 18.2 gallon is all she'll hold, but gets awesome mileage anywho, so it'll have to do for now.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
sounds like you will need to replace the sending unit in the tank.there is a rubber"foot"thing with a screen on it the rots and falls off.this causes the truck to act like it is out of fuel around 1/4 tank.sending unit is used or ford only part

towcat

mouse hunter
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
sounds like you will need to replace the sending unit in the tank.there is a rubber"foot"thing with a screen on it the rots and falls off.this causes the truck to act like it is out of fuel around 1/4 tank.sending unit is used or ford only part
here's a visual of what rich is talking about....:eek:

Flyin W Cattle

Reaction score
Thanks Guys!

Man, I replaced that "foot" thingy, and what a difference! I can actually drive my truck , without it dying when I get to a 1/4 tank or so! Also, must have been just a bad electrical connection, or stuck float, cuz now my fuel gauge works, and is accurate! :-? Now if I could find someone with a front tank that doesnt want an arm and a leg for it......*hint hint* Thanks again guys!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58