HELP!! 7.3l running rough/no power

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove my truck to work this morning and everything was good. Started truck 12

hours later and it started fine but then began running rough, like it was missing

on one cylinder. Tried to drive it and it stalled. When I restarted it, the check

engine light came on and it ran rough with no power. I limped it home (20 miles)

and popped the hood, but I couldn't see anything obvious. I checked the oil

level yesterday and it was full. I'm going to see if I can get it into the local Ford

garage in the morning.

Howard

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. I didn't check the oil today.

Also, I've not had time to check the fuel filter.

No leaks that I can see and the fuel was fresh a few days ago.

Howard

jeaton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Check your coolant. If it smells like fuel you have an injector cup cracked. I know I just replace all eight of mine.

NVJAY775

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When my injectors went bad due to poor fuel, it was rough starting cold. It would smooth out when it warmed up, but as soon as I stood on it, it fell on its face. You could also try changing your fuel filter as a cheap effort. Maybe the fuel pump is having issues. Fuel pressure spring maybe? Sounds like it is fuel delivery related. Hopefully some other guys with some more experience will chime in for you.

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your coolant. If it smells like fuel you have an injector cup cracked. I know I just replace all eight of mine.

Just went out and checked this. Smells like coolant but also smells a little like chlorine.:dunno Definitely does not smell like diesel though.

Howard

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Good chance it's the UVCH, although mine never stalled on me when when mine was loose.

I agree due to the fact the cel came on and it was running rough-p1316 idm codes im sure. If it has good oil which im sure it does pop both the valve covers off and see which one. If you want to know for sure and cant pull codes but can get it to stay running disconnect each valve cover harness one at a time and see which one barely makes a difference. And if that is the case and the uvc harness has come loose,go to ford and ask for a pack of uvc clips/retainers,they come in a pack of 3 and cost about $10. If your truck is a pre-99 the harnesses like to burn up,pull the oil cap and see if it smells burnt-dead give away.

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has been doing the same thing and only got worse last night. I had to break down and take it to the dealership, am working in New Bedford, MA today but live in TN, and was told that the uvc harness was bad on the right side and then after that didn't work they told me that it is the ? injector pump? and was going to be around $790 and they should have it done tomorrow. If it works then great hopefully another 193,000 plus but if not it may get sold and possibly a new one. But I love my truck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58