Help Can't get brakes to bleed correct

got9lbs

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Got 06 f-250 6.0 powerstroke 4x4. A few months ago the caliper starts leaking like crazy after driving it for a while, so I replaced the caliper (53,000 miles on the truck) on the drivers rear, about 2000 miles later same caliper starts leaking again. Replaced the caliper today and now I have bleed all four corners and still cannot get pedal pressure. All calipers are shooting out all fluid no air, but as stated the pedal will not get hard. When you start the truck there is no pedal pressure at all. We bleed them with the cap on the master and then again with the cap off. I currently have a TBC fault but that shouldn't mess with the brakes should it? The caliper came from NAPA and its a Ford/TRW unit. Please help !

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
check the wheel bearings, a wheel might be leaning and opening up the caliper, and it would give you a soft pedal.

are you pumping the pedal several times to get full pressure before bleeding it off? sometimes one stroke of the pedal isnt enough to effectively get all of the air out.

atk

Reaction score
i would still try and bleed master cylinder. basically, pump up brakes 3-4 times and crack loose each line on master(one at a time). do this 2 or 3 times. take some shop rags to catch the brake fluid and also try and not to bottom out the master(brake pedal to the floor)....hope this helps

got9lbs

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
First- We were pumping the pedal 4-5 times and would get a firm pedal about halfway off the floor, then crack the bleeders and close them when I got to the floor.

Second- to bleed the master cylinder are there bleeder ports or do i crack the line?

Why is it I can get a bit of pedal pressure halfway off the floor with the truck off and when I start the truck I have no pressure at all?

This rearend is giving me all types of issues, when we did the first caliper I had to do both axle seals as they were both leaking along with the driverside rear caliper.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the wheel bearings, a wheel might be leaning and opening up the caliper, and it would give you a soft pedal.

are you pumping the pedal several times to get full pressure before bleeding it off? sometimes one stroke of the pedal isnt enough to effectively get all of the air out.

I have never heard of this, a bad wheel bearing will lean enough to cause a caliper to stay open just enough to cause a soft pedal? I assume it would have to be a front bearing you are referring to. This is good to know, my fathers '05 SD gasser has a soft pedal. I changed the pads in it even though they had plenty of miles left in it because I couldn't think of anything else that would cause it, obviously didn't fix it. I will look into this. :sweet

atk

Reaction score
First- We were pumping the pedal 4-5 times and would get a firm pedal about halfway off the floor, then crack the bleeders and close them when I got to the floor.

Second- to bleed the master cylinder are there bleeder ports or do i crack the line?

Why is it I can get a bit of pedal pressure halfway off the floor with the truck off and when I start the truck I have no pressure at all?

This rearend is giving me all types of issues, when we did the first caliper I had to do both axle seals as they were both leaking along with the driverside rear caliper.

did you have this problem last time you changed the caliper?

just crack the lines loose....try bleeding the master first(watch for air bubbles). it may help or may not....it is possible master could be faulty

got9lbs

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The first time I wasn't there when they bled the brakes, but the mech. said he had no problem and the truck felt fine to me after he was done.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
you are feeling a stiff pedal with engine off because you have no power boost. once the engine is running the power assist is giving you a soft pedal.

have you tried a power bleeder?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58