Help can't get out of 4th gear!

AARON29

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Started into work this morning and was about 5 miles into my drive when I noticed the truck wouldn't shift out of 4th gear. I was running 50mph and Rpms were 2200. Turned around and noticed the ABS light was on and right before I got home the radio went dead. Pulled into the parking lot and tried to backup and had no reverse! When I stepped on the gas pedal while it was in reverse nothing happened, no response from the motor at all! Had to go around the block again to park so I wouldn't get stuck in a spot where I couldn't back up and parked it.

Back in November the sensor and a wire harness inside the tranny had to be replaced. The mechanic said the tranny itself was in excellent shape. Hoping it is just some sort of sensor but any help is appreciated. Going to take it back to the dealer this morning.

2003 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.0 diesel with 114,000 miles, all stock no mods yet.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
wouldn't shift out of 4th gear
ABS light was on
radio went dead
no reverse
no response from the motor

Hummmm...........I am no expert but it could be an electrical problem. How old are the batteries???

Tbar

AARON29

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The one battery is one of the originals I'm guessing. The other I replaced about two months ago and it's a 1000 cold cranking amp battery.

I took the truck up to the dealer which is about 30 miles away. On the way up the ABS light came back on, the radio went off, gauges went dead and power windows died. Sounds like an alternater to me but it was just replaced about 8 months ago. I got about 8 miles from the dealer and the truck just shut off.

The dealer said the sensor and harness they put in is under warranty for 1 year. If it was them I won't have to pay for nothing. If not then I have to pay for a diagnostic on the tranny and another on the electrical system, oh, and $75 for the tow truck! So...... they haven't even touched it yet and they're into me for about $300.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replaceing one battery at a time is not a good practice.

the new battery will just get pulled down by the old.

the tranny issue sounds electrical...the ABS has no
relation to the tranny. that im aware of.

i personally dont like that its up to the dealer to determine
if it was their fault or not...lets hope these guys are honest.

there should be some codes "thrown" or set from the tranny.

AARON29

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! I hope they are honest too. I just don't understand how the tranny not shifting right and the elecrical / power has anything to do with each other.

You're right about the batteries and I was told to replace them both, but I was being cheap and have been getting by just fine untill today.

I will definitly keep you guys posted on what goes on. Hopefully they don't stick it to me too bad.:(

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Make sure they check the grounds. Mine was doing alot of the things you describe and then some. Got a remote starter? Mine shut itself off and started itself a few times. Good luck!

AARON29

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do have a remote start and it starts and shuts itself off at least 3 times before I go out there and manually start it myself. I don't use it anymore because of that.

I just got a call from the dealer and they said they think it is the battery and alternator. I said what about the tranny ? They seemed to think once the electrical problem was fixed that might cure that problem. They wanted $915 to change the alternator and the battery! I told them to pull it outside and I'll be there to pick it up and do it myself for about $400. If that doesn't fix it I'll park it till I can get a little extra dough and send her somewhere else to look at the tranny issue. I still gotta pay $270 for the diag and towing. Man, whatta day!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
insane ! i highly recommend the a visit to ITP Diesel <online> for
the purchase of AutoEnginuity PC Scan Tool (USB)

a plug-in voltmeter (plugs in to the power point / cig. lighter) will
help you monitor the battery condition (when the truck is off) and
the alternator output (when the truck is running)

situations like this dont take long to recover the investment !

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Check your battery connections for corrosion. Also check for bad ground connections. They may be corroded, oily, or even just loose.

I one time had a variety of changing electrical problems. Problems that would come & go with little or no rhyme or reason. When I began to have trouble starting the engine, I looked for bad cable connections. The battery connections were bad with significant voltage drop between the posts and the cable clamps. I cleaned them good and low & behold ALL the problems went away.

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my 04 PSD Excursion about 1-1/2 years ago. Strangest thing I had ever come accross. Gauges went dead, abs light came on and radio died. I limped it into the dealer, they tested the altenator and it was DOA. Replaced and has been fine ever since. Ya gotta love hi-tech electronics in well oiled machines! :stir Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg