Help can't get out of 4th gear!

AARON29

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yep, checked the grounds on the batteries. I check them alot ever since the alternator died about 6 months ago. I also spray the terminal spray on them to keep the corrosion down.

I also called the dealer back to ask what amperage alternator was in the truck so I could replace it tommorrow. The local auto parts store says it either gets a 110,130, or 140amp. Mine has a 100amp in it now:rolleyes:
Maybe this could be part of the problem leading to it's early death.... I don't know. But anyway I ordered a 140amp just to be on the safe side, and this time both batteries are getting replaced!;tu

cummins359

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
had this happen in my 04' f-550 work truck only it was a standard. it would die just like u stated no radio,abs light, power windows quit. u could let it sit for maybe 5 min then get in and go for 7-8 miles would do it again . fleet mechanic said the alternator died and took the batteries with it.

AARON29

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Stopped at the dealer this afternoon, had my brother help me get it across the street to a restaurant parking lot where we proceeded to swap out the batteries for 2 new ones(Deka) and swapped out the 100amp alternator for a 135amp one. All in all it took about 30minutes. Had him drive the truck home,about 40 miles, since he is a marine diesel mechanic. Had absolutely no problems ! I guess the tranny problem was related directly to the lack of electric. By doing it ourselves I saved over $600! The only other thing I have to get looked at is my glow plug relay.

Thanks again to everone that posted, you guys were alot of help in making the decision to try to fix it myself.:clap:

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... if the battery voltage is low enough that the computer can't function correctly how the hell is it reading any engine functions, figuring out position, and firing fuel?? That is really REALLY bizarre...

I had a 92 suburban squad truck shut down on us at a parade because the alternator regulator went out of spec, and the battery voltage went to 8v. Still would turn over, but couldn't keep the computer alive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg