Help! changing rear shoes on a 97 f-250

tr30

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm changing the rear shoes on my OBS f250 and cant get the drum off. I need some instrustions please! thanks

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i assume that you are fighting with the drum being caught on the shoes due to them being adjusted out.

PLAN A

what you need to do is adjust them back in, wich can be done with 2 screwdrivers and a light.
if you are looking at the backing plates (some call them dust shields) on the axle, there will be a rubber plug that is about an inch long at the bottom on each plate.
take the plug out, shine a light in there and you should see a toothed wheel.
behind the toothed wheel there is an adjuster arm that adjusts the wheel out as brakes wear and also keeps the wheel from threading back in.
what you need to do is push the arm off of the wheel, and with another screwdriver thread the adjuster wheel back in, wich will allow the shoes to suck in more, and the ridge on the drum will slide over them.

sometimes the adjusters are frozen, and that brings me to plan B.

PLAN B
get safety glasses, and a good sized hammer. smash the crap out of those drums until they shatter off. if you do end up smashing the drums off, make sure you get all of the chunks out, or they will come back to haunt you with terrible noises.

i hope that helps, im not sure if i can describe it any better than that.
good luck

happeetxn

9/11 Never Forget
Reaction score
I had to do Plan B on my 95'. Smack the heck out of them w/ a big ol' hammer. They will come off.
Craig

444ornothing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey i just signed up with sdd.com a day ago and would have loved to assist but it appears that your faithfull brothers already directed you in the right path my friend. Combine happeetxn and zookie400's advice and you got it made. Those out board drums are much more appreciated than the old style back in the 80's and older. good luck!!!

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
hey i just signed up with sdd.com a day ago and would have loved to assist but it appears that your faithfull brothers already directed you in the right path my friend. Combine happeetxn and zookie400's advice and you got it made. Those out board drums are much more appreciated than the old style back in the 80's and older. good luck!!!

What do you mean? Referring to full floaters where you have to pull the axleshafts and bearings to get to em?

tr30

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. I got them off and didnt even half to beat on them. Many things can be accomplished with a big enough prybar screwdriver. thanks again.:thumbs

RacerX

AMERICAN INGENUITY
Reaction score
The worst 1 ever: The previous brake job was run until the rivets cut a 1/4" deep groove in the drum.
Lots of prying to discover why the drum wouldn't clear the shoe. :confused:
They just put new shoes on anyway.:cussing: 1/4" of unworn brake lining to get the drum over and off. Torch and hammer took care of the other side. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg