Help choosing transmission!

foxrider241

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey I’ve finally decided that I’m going to auto – manual conversion in my truck. I’m wondering what transmission is going to be best when I switch out the 4R100? I’ve heard that if I installed ZF-6 I’d have to do something to the transfer case? I don’t know, I’m not familiar with Ford’s Drive Train. The only manual transmissions that I know of that fit the 99-03 7.3 power strokes are the ZF-6 but I talked to some about the switch and they said the ZF-5 would be the better choice.. If anyone has any ideas, knowledge of this, or anything, it would be much appreciated for any help or advice!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes the ZF-6 output shaft is splined differently than all of the other transmission options offered behind the PSD. That said having driven both ZF-6 and ZF-5 trucks if you're going through the hassle to swap then do it right and get the ZF-6 The extra gear is nice in the middle of the range when you're pulling and to keep the engine just idling along when putting down a city street.

I contemplated the transmission swap and when I sat down and started adding up prices (4 years ago) that I was going to be spending as much or more to swap to a stick as I would to just build the automatic that is in the truck. As you can see by the sig I choose to stay with the automatic and built it myself I spent about 1200 in parts (not counting converter) 150 in tools, and a bit of time. Don't get me wrong I love the input from shifting gears and I get my fix driving my car daily and would love to have a stick in the truck, it's just not financially logical.

That being said to do the swap you'll need

Transmission
Flywheel
Clutch
transfer case
driveshaft modifications
transmission shift lever
clutch pedal assembly
brake pedal assembly from stick
reprogrammed chip or pcm
transfer case (if zf-6)
transmission wiring for manual (reverse light etc.)
clutch interlock switch & wiring
transmission crossmember
clutch master & slave assembly
transmission cooler & tubes (if zf-6)
steering column (get rid of auto shifter)
Manual instrument cluster

that's what I can come up with off the top of my head if you really want to do the swap it'll be best to have a truck sitting right there to pull stuff off of or find someone who wants to swap to an auto.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14