HELP!!!! Egt readings

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, as suggested by everyone here I moved my egt probe pre turbo and now I scared to death!! My truck has a tymar style air intake and an 3 1/2 in open exhaust no cat no muffler and Im running an old style (red) Diablo delta chip on the 40hp setting and I can hit 1300 deg with ease (no were near on the floor) Im setting at 500 deg setting in the driveway. I can take the chip out and still hit close to 1100 deg in stock setting. My question is what in the world is going on? Is my gauge off(how do you calibrate them), is my motor really getting this hot and if so what can i do to remedy it ? Please help this diesel stuff is all new to me!

:dunno:doh:

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have a chip or tuner and I can still hit 1200. I have a tymar and straight pipe same as you.

I bet you are really hitting 1300 with the chip.

JRJ04

Reaction score
1300 degrees is high, but not out of this world. i have an 80hp chip, full 4 inch exhaust and tymar style intake. i really have to hold it pretty good to hit 1300.

What worries me is that youre at 500 degreed at idle. If I let mine sit there long enough, it will go down to 200. Do you still have the cat in there?

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My connection sucks. So many variables. What kind of gauges? Last time the thermostat was changed? Coolant changed? Rads reverse cleaned/ blown out? Tranny temps? How do you drive it? Like you stole it all the time? Towing/hauling? Im just one man....you will get other questions. And yes inquiring minds wanna know. LOL

Last edited:

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL NeverKnow! gauges-JDM Have no idea on the thermostat but water temp never gets over 180deg??? Tranny temps stay around 160 or so . I only tow every once and a while and when i do its only around 4000lbs so nothing sever. I drive pretty conservative but the readings i gave you guy was while i was getting up to speed on the freeway was mashing go pedal pretty hard going from 35 to 70 mph. Man yall ask all you want i got to figure this out!

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
What are your EGT's when you go up Governor's Drive?

It's a pretty good grade/pull.

Are you seeing these EGT's on flat road, getting on it good, etc.?

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are your EGT's when you go up Governor's Drive?

It's a pretty good grade/pull.

Are you seeing these EGT's on flat road, getting on it good, etc.?

I am seeing these egts on Southparkway .. Overpass-flat for 100 yards overpass ans so on for a couple miles . I am in it pretty hard going up the overpass but no were neae being on the floor! I just drove it about 4 miles and its about 75 deg outside and just normal riving on flat road I was seeing around 700 and after 5 mins idel it droped to 400. Sorry if this doesn't come out rite I'm on the blackberry

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if these are the temps that im getting how do I lower them? Do you think that this old style diablo chip is causing my problems or are these problems common for a chip or performance tune?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
So if these are the temps that im getting how do I lower them? Do you think that this old style diablo chip is causing my problems or are these problems common for a chip or performance tune?

might be..
I'd heave that Diablo into the river and call Jody at DPTuner

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14