help me choose how to prep my truck!!

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
So, most of you probably know by now, I am moving to Germany in January and taking my truck. Now most people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I'm taking it with me, but I have been there before so I know the area and what I am in for. Plus, I'm not ready to let go of my truck yet, and refuse to let it set in storage for four years while I am gone. So that settles that, it going with me lol!

Anyway, I coming here for your guys' help in deciding what I do to my truck before taking it. I have a budget of about $3K and about 3 months to get the stuff done to it. First I will list the items that have been replaced since 2009 since I took ownership of it(not including what is in my signature below). My truck currently has just over 255K miles on it now.

u joints-replaced in 2009 at 193K
replaced fuel bowl drain valve orings in 2010 at 205K
rotors and brakes in 2013 at 232K
ball joints replaced in 2013 at 238K
starter replaced in 2013 at 242K
batteries replaced in 2014 at 243K
belt, tensioner pulley, and idler pulley replaced in 2014 at 248K
alternator rebuilt in 2014 at 252K

Here are the things I would like to do before I go:

Tires-toyo AT2-$1K(these can go without if need be)
PS Pump-$200
coolant filtration system along with coolant flush-$200
clean or replace EBPV tube-$40
FRX from riff raff-$200
intercooler boot kit, plenum boot kit with new clamps and plenum inserts from riff raff-$250
replace windshield(cracks)-$230

Now this is just a quick list I did in my head. I am looking for any and all suggestions of what you would do with $3K in your truck has what my truck has in the signature. I am more concerned with longevity and preventative maintenance than anything else. I'm just not as familiar with our trucks as some of you are.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off the Top.. I'd say yer truck is in Super Shape.. just the way it is.

With yer "Things I wana Do" list ? Other than the Windshield (and now.. the PS pump).. You might wana just buy those pieces'n parts and ship'm with yer PCS Personal Property stuff. That way, you'd have'm >>IF<< you needed them.. On Hand ?

My .03

Joe

Last edited:

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Well thanks big joe. I have tried to always put the best of the best in my truck when I can. Learned my lesson with that on those damn parts house starters lol!!

anyway, yes you nailed it with the windshield and PS pump. those are the only two things I absolutely have to do before I go. and good idea on the parts n pieces.

If you had to pick what parts and peices, what would they be?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you had to pick what parts and peices, what would they be?

IH/MotorCraft... ALL THE WAY. . Any thing Aftermarket (bigger/better Mod) wise.. Check yer PM's.

Joe

On yer PS pump ? Try some Trans-X first.. AZ, O'Rielly's, Wal-Mart has it. Suck out 1/2 the fluid, add some, crank it full stop L & R, run it for awhile. And Yes.. yer PS pump can have an effect on your brakes.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
ok. what exactly is this trans-x stuff? does it remove air bubbles or something? and how can I measure to know I have sucked out half of the fluid?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sans the hype on the can.. it works on seal and valve clearances. (swells'm back up)

I've used it on many, many heavy and light, hydraulic applications. Works well but not a miracle cure.. IMO it's worth a shot.. until you have the time, or the want to.. to R&R your PS pump.

With all you've got come'n to ya.. Yer call ?

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64