Help, no start but runs good

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
OK I know that title sounds funny, I moved my topic over here because I need help right away now. My 2002 F450 will not start without starter fluid (I know I know,,,it's bad to use) I wait for it to time out on the glow plugs and then a short spurt will get it going. ( I know I am taking a risk)

My question is what would cause it to run well but if I shut it off...no start.

Batteries are good and near new, GPR is new, glow plugs are 7 months old, injectors are 2 months old, oil sensor on left head is new, turbo is new, left head is new, starter is good and cranking speed is good and fast. Cam sensor was replaced 2 months ago.

I can drive it for an hour, shut it off and it will not restart...just cranks, it does show oil pressure. Oil is full.

About the only thing left is the HPOP and the IPR.

Please help point me in the right direction.

dachshund

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think you may be on to something with the HPOP or IPR. If I remember correctly, the ECM needs to see 500 psi of oil pressure before it will fire the injectors. Sounds like the starting fluid gets the engine started and spinning faster so the pressure comes up and the injectors kick in. Can you check the HPOP pressure while cranking.

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
I cannot check that pressure. I ran it tonight and never shut it off. It did fine for about 8 hours and then died right on the RR tracks and I coasted off. This was at 3:00AM. I started messing with it and just about 2 minutes later a train came! That was too close! Anyway now it won't stay running at idle. Would colder temps make a difference? If I rev it up a bit I can keep it going and I made it back home that way. Still had to use starter fluid to get it going. Your theory sounds possible.

dachshund

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sure sounds like low oil pressure to me. If it were me I would get the HPOP pressure checked or get an Autoenginuity(what I use).

I have never checked it to be sure but you should see higher pressure when the oil is cold. If it idles cold after getting it running I would say that is another pointer towards the HPOP.

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
JLDickmon...yes, same truck that was using the oil in the injector. It's been a real joy. I was thinking it would have been a real blessing if it had stopped on the train tracks.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Dude..
do this..
loosen the IDM in the mount and try slapping it around with your hand, or rapping on it with a screwdriver handle..

might even want to take it right on out and look for signs of water intrusion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14