Help, no start but runs good

fordman60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I know that title sounds funny, I moved my topic over here because I need help right away now. My 2002 F450 will not start without starter fluid (I know I know,,,it's bad to use) I wait for it to time out on the glow plugs and then a short spurt will get it going. ( I know I am taking a risk)

My question is what would cause it to run well but if I shut it off...no start.

Batteries are good and near new, GPR is new, glow plugs are 7 months old, injectors are 2 months old, oil sensor on left head is new, turbo is new, left head is new, starter is good and cranking speed is good and fast. Cam sensor was replaced 2 months ago.

I can drive it for an hour, shut it off and it will not restart...just cranks, it does show oil pressure. Oil is full.

About the only thing left is the HPOP and the IPR.

Please help point me in the right direction.

your problem is your hpop output fitting. mine had exact same problem. would start cold, run great, but shut it off and in about ten minutes it would not start. it has a swivel fitting with an o ring that fails. the oil pressure in the hp oil system bleeds off and because of this, the injectors do not get their 500 psi to fire, so you have no start!!

remove the hpop and get the updated ford fitting. it is a solid T with o ring face seal. just make sure it is aligned correctly before tightening it , as you can not turn it once installed, and there is no way to get a wrench or socket in there once in place. many guys mistakenly change their hpop, which will fix the problem, but only because the new pump comes with the updated fitting!!!

there are also hp oil rails under the valve covers on top of the injectors. with o rings on top of the injectors. if these o rings leak you will have same problems. there are 2 hp oil tubes that go thru the oil rails and the block into the hp oil branch tube, this feeds the oil from the pump to the oil rails. there are o rings there also. i belive 3 o rings per tube. tubes are 2 pcs and screw into the oil rail. if o ring on hpop fitting is ok, change the fitting anyway, as it will cause future problems! also be sure to check ipr valve on top drivers side of hpop, and icp sensor (located on pass valve cover) mine took a lot of cranking to start after changing the fitting. it now starts great warm

Last edited:

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
your problem is your hpop output fitting. mine had exact same problem. would start cold, run great, but shut it off and in about ten minutes it would not start. it has a swivel fitting with an o ring that fails. the oil pressure in the hp oil system bleeds off and because of this, the injectors do not get their 500 psi to fire, so you have no start!!

remove the hpop and get the updated ford fitting. it is a solid T with o ring face seal. just make sure it is aligned correctly before tightening it , as you can not turn it once installed, and there is no way to get a wrench or socket in there once in place. many guys mistakenly change their hpop, which will fix the problem, but only because the new pump comes with the updated fitting!!!

there are also hp oil rails under the valve covers on top of the injectors. with o rings on top of the injectors. if these o rings leak you will have same problems. there are 2 hp oil tubes that go thru the oil rails and the block into the hp oil branch tube, this feeds the oil from the pump to the oil rails. there are o rings there also. i belive 3 o rings per tube. tubes are 2 pcs and screw into the oil rail. if o ring on hpop fitting is ok, change the fitting anyway, as it will cause future problems! also be sure to check ipr valve on top drivers side of hpop, and icp sensor (located on pass valve cover) mine took a lot of cranking to start after changing the fitting. it now starts great warm

Sounds like you are talking about a 6.0, this guy has an 02, so a 7.3.;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14