Question Help ?!?! Not running right

smokin joe

Smokin.....
Reaction score
I have a 1997 7.3 and last night I started it up. Everything was running good and all of a sudden it started running like a gas engine that had a plug or 2 fouled out. The check engine light is on but it wont pull any codes.

For some time now it has been acting up like a spark plug would be going out on a gas engine. It wouldnt run very good and then take off like the spark plug kicked in.

ANY suggestions on where to start? Please !?!?
Thank you

If its a fuel injector how would I find out which one it is?

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
first how are trying to get the codes out of it?

have a contribution test and buzz test run on it.is it blowin any smoke?what color?how much?

check the valve cover harnesses.pull the oil fill cap and smell inside the valve cover and see if it smells like burnt wiring

smokin joe

Smokin.....
Reaction score
I tried pulling the codes with an OBD II.
There is No smoke coming out the exhaust
Yes it smells like burnt wiring

I will pull the rocker covers in the A.M. and see what the wires look like under there.
Thank you!!

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
what kind of scanner are you using?the cheapy auto zone scanners will not work on it.you need something along the lines of a snap-on scanner or the auto enginuity program for a laptop.

smokin joe

Smokin.....
Reaction score
Ya it was an Auto Zone scanner. I will see if the local truck place has one but I cant drive it the way it is. I will pull the valve covers and start from there. I will keep you informed what I find. Prob. Send pictures too.:sweet

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
try checking the 4 external connectors.you might see the problem before you rip it apart.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58