Help Needed Help, runs real bad....then good....then bad

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
2002 F450 7.3 260K miles. Was running great then fell on it's face...no power..missing...then a few minutes later perked right up....then about ten miutes later...horrible. This kept progressing until it died. Was able restart with effort. Changed fuel filter and was a bit better but still when bad only 10mph and under. Won't pull a slight hill....then later just fine.

I noticed no black smoke and I normally have about 18% on accell.

Is this a electric fuel pump problem? Something else?

Any help is appreciated.

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
help?

You should probably check the cam sensor, they recalled alot of them, black sensor, gold bracket is the old faulty sensor and the new one is grey with a silver bracket, it's located to the top left of the harmonic balancer. you might even have an injection control pressure issue, you won't be able to tell that unless you got a scanner though. Also check the oil level cause it might be derating due to low oil. If none on that helps then let me know I'll try and help some more, good luck.

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
There was no check engine light on and oil level was fine. Just changed it last week as well. I will scan and will try to test fuel pressure tomorrow.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
There was no check engine light on and oil level was fine. Just changed it last week as well. I will scan and will try to test fuel pressure tomorrow.

what oil did you use?

how much fuel is in the tank?

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
It was 15w40 and the fuel was low...about a 1/4 tank but the issue continued good and bad all the way to empty when I took my spare can and put 5 gallons in it...1/4 tank (20 gallon tank).

You think it is sucking air??

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing(392k Miles). It started off happening every couple days then it got worse and worse. Any hill I came upon and the old girl sputtered at like 10 mph.I had these codes P1211 ICP Not Controllable - Pressure Abow/Below Desired, P0603 Internal Control Module KAM Error. I had the all the injector orings replaced along with injector harnesses,valve cover gaskets. I also had the stealership flash the pcm. I had the oring repair and a tranny rebuild done and picked it up yesterday.(The tranny rebuild was something I had planned on and had nothing to do with this). I have not had a lot of driving time with it yet.(maybe 10 miles) A engine light was thrown again and the mechanic said I need to have the pcm flashed again or I might need a new one. The oring repair has fixed the absolute lack of power but every once in a while it would feel like it was missing and would light the engine light, then it would go away . I hope this helps.Im going to see what the code is today and ill post just in case you may have the same. Im also going to get it reflashed and see if that fixes it.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
It was 15w40 and the fuel was low...about a 1/4 tank but the issue continued good and bad all the way to empty when I took my spare can and put 5 gallons in it...1/4 tank (20 gallon tank).

You think it is sucking air??

without knowing some scan values, yeah. I think it's sucking air.

I forsee a Hutch mod in your future.. TikiWiki : Fuel Supply Modifications

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
Still down

I had it in a shop and they said I have 3 bad injectors 1,3,and 8 and he thought it was a fuel pump as well. I put the fuel pump on and it started once. As soon as I pressed the accelerator it started losing power and died. I attempted to restart without success. I am going to go today and drop the supply line and run a hose from the pump into a can of diesel to see if that make any difference. If not then I am beside myself.

I think I have had the bad injectors since I have owned it but it still runs well. Can't imagine how it would run with new injectors. Where is the best place to get injectors (sponsor possibly?) Anyone had good luck with reman's? Should I just do all 8?

Last edited:

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
still down and on the side of the road.

Well I went and double checked everything...was not getting fuel to the bowl...discovered my own mistake that I had the wires backwards on the pump. Switched them and it started up. Still no power. I filled the tank to the top hoping if it was sucking air in the tank that would solve or verify that issue. No help. The truck will idle if you want to call it that but as soon as you put it in gear it bogs and dies. If you rev it up in park it will run up to 2000 rpm and then start falling down. Will not maintain a high idle. I suppose it is possible I have a bad new pump as it acts just like the other one.

If there is air in the fuel system from being empty how will it works it's way out? Won't that air cause low pressure? Esspecially if 3 injectors are not firing. :dunno

What port do I remove to test fuel pressure? I have a tester. I saw a note here about the port on the back side of the fuel bowl but I don't see it.

I am on the side of the road so I don't have all my tools.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
without knowing some scan values, yeah. I think it's sucking air.

I forsee a Hutch mod in your future.. TikiWiki : Fuel Supply Modifications

Im having problems also with my rig. I read your post about picking up air. I had my injector orings replace along with harnesses. I went and filled the truck up right after picking it up from the shop. Diesel station right across the street. It drove great no knocking at stop lights no power lost on hills. I drove about 150 miles problem free about half a tank. At a half a tank I was driving on the highway and the engine light came on and it lost power and shutter like crazy and knock like as hell. I went home and parked her until this morning. Cranked it up and drove it and the same thing knocking and power loss. I remembered your post and went and filled it up. It stopped knocking and seems to drive like normal. I recently added the ITP 7.3L Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit along with a carter fuel helper pump. Sounds like air to me if filling it up resolves the knocking and power loss. What should I do beside keep it filled up? :dunno thanks for any advise you can give! Everyone is welcome to chime in!;tu

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14