Help!!! SES Codes

D350CC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This is my first post so I will try to be as complete as I can about my issue...

2000 F350/PSD CC 190K, 6spd Manual

For about 3 weeks now I have been driving down the freeway and out of the blue I get a stuttering and missing out of my 7.3 and the SES light comes on (usually with the cruise set at 65mph approx). If I hit the go faster pedal, the light goes out and it runs fine for a while then the same thing again. This problem is getting worse by the day! I do not have a problem with starting and/or driving in town at the moment but I would be willing to guess that it's coming. The codes I pulled with a friends reader:
P-470
P-1280
Now my friend explained what these codes are but I have no idea where to start and/or if there are any other issues that could bring these codes up short of just replacing the affected sensors. Now to make matters worse, I called up my local mechanic which has quite a bit of diesel experience ( I live here in north Idaho logging town, EVERYBODY drives a diesel) and he wouldn't even give me an estimate on how much to fix it. Is my mechanic just blowing smoke or are these codes really that involved. I am on a budget and this truck has been virtually bulletproof so I am hoping to fix it without spending loads of money.

Any help with fixing this truck would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:SDD D350CC. You need to give us more information on our truck. What year, etc. Fill out your signature by going to the USER CP in the Blue Line above and fill it out. Second is the WIKI Technical Section here that has the codes listed. If you don't know what they mean, you need to educate yourself or go to a Mechanic. P 1280 is a Injection Control Pressure out of range, low. and the P 0470 is Exhaust Pressure Sensor Malfunction. I am not sure you need to go and change the sensors, but the Exhaust sensor may be one you could change. These codes can be tied together in some way, so start with the cheapest one first. You don't get away cheap when you buy a modern diesel that costs $40,000+. GET A SCANNER!

Dave

D350CC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry Dave,

I am new to the whole posting thing, I have added the details of my truck to my post. To answer your post: I am not trying to get away without paying anything, I have owned this truck for the last 135k of it's life and its been great! I plan on keeping it until one or both of us dies. However, I had to take this truck in once before for the "back pressure" relief tube that runs around the head (mechanic said it was plugged). I guess I am looking for people with reliable advice to point me in the right direction because I know that taking it to a mechanic can get spendy when it might be something that can be fixed myself, I am not new to mechanics just not new to having to work on a truck that runs... As far as the scanner is concerned, I have access to one any time I need it that is how I got the codes, I never needed it until now.

I will look into checking the back-pressure sensor and/or tube... Thanks for relpying and for the guidance, If you have any other suggestions let me know.

Ken

D350CC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Update:

Took the truck out for another drive after clearing codes, P-0470 never came back but about 15 miles down the road at around 65mph truck started missing again and threw the p-1280 code again. Took truck home and checked ICP sensor connection, looks good (no oil and good connection/seal). Could something else be causing the code without throwing a different code???

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The EGR can cause this, and you can remove the EGR and clean it fairly easily. Check it out.

Dave

D350CC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I went out and looked for an EGR but apparently my 7.3 Doesn't have one??? (at least I looked around for one) After checking around on the web it looks like this might be the case. I might just try to replace the ICP Sensor and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks for the suggestion though!!!

wpecjak

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sounds somewhat like the issue I had with mine. turns out the Injector harness on one side was 'iffy' replaced it no problems since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58