Help!! Tranny Problem!

bad_bad_bubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Sorry for yelling. driving home today, I take off from the light and it doesnt want to go and the OD light on the shifter is flashing. I figure out that if I idle forward a far enough for the TC to catch that it will go with no problems. After I get moving it shifts fine and no problems. When I stop I can fee it unlock and again I have to idle forward a few feet until it catches. Is this just a bad TC or do I have much bigger problems?

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your truck only "locks and unlocks" the TC at speeds above 45 mph. What your describing sounds like a low fluid problem. There isnt enough fluid between the fins to create a strong enough fluid coupling to make the truck move.

Flashing OD light means you have set a transmission code, and the computer thinks something is wrong. You need to get it scanned to find out what code was set.

I would aslo check the fluid level, color, and smell for anything out of the ordinary.

bad_bad_bubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now this is starting to make me wonder. Upon advice from whatabudro, I went out to start the truck and see if it wasnt just a glich in the computer. I put the key in and turned it. after about two seconds all lights went dim. :eek: :cussing: I turned off the key and the dome light started blinking and I could here the hazard blinker relay. :confused: I turned the hazards on and they worked. :confused: Turned them off and the dome light blinks. turned the key again and nothing. So for some reason I decided to turn on the headlamps and BINGO! :eek: everyting worked again. I started it and drove it and everything is good again.

I have heard of some wierd computer problems before but WTF!?! :dunno

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
W0w. The only time my truck ever did that was when I had a low battery. These trucks are battery HOGS, and if even one or two cells go bad, the electronics go freaking WACKO!! (like Jacko!)

5 years is the life of a battery. If you have the stockers, its about time to replace them anywayz. Check your connectors for corrosion, and give them a good cleaning up.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
bad_bad_bubba said:
Now this is starting to make me wonder. Upon advice from whatabudro, I went out to start the truck and see if it wasnt just a glich in the computer. I put the key in and turned it. after about two seconds all lights went dim. :eek: :cussing: I turned off the key and the dome light started blinking and I could here the hazard blinker relay. :confused: I turned the hazards on and they worked. :confused: Turned them off and the dome light blinks. turned the key again and nothing. So for some reason I decided to turn on the headlamps and BINGO! :eek: everyting worked again. I started it and drove it and everything is good again.

I have heard of some wierd computer problems before but WTF!?! :dunno

Now I know what it is, you have that battery cable that looks like shredded coconuts on the drivers side. You said you had cleaned it and it happened right back. You also have two different brands of batteries if I recall, from the previuos owner replacing only one. Be happy its not the verter. Change your batteries( BOTH)and all should be well. Budro

bad_bad_bubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea Yea I know.

I'm a dumb :censored: sometimes and didnt think about that.

It has been on my todo list for a while. I guess I just put it off a little too long.

Thanks guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl