Help! Truck dies like its running out of diesel

bar*none

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Whats up guys. I recently purchased a 2005 F250 w/ 40,000 miles on it. The truck has zero mods except for a K&N filter (dont worry it is coming off as soon as possible). It also has a 65 gallon fuel tank in the bed wired into the #4 toggle. Well starting a couple weeks ago i was pulling a small empty four wheeler trailor and when I turned the corner and gave it gas to go the truck just died like it had ran out of diesel. So I coasted over, sat a minute and flipped it to the reserve tank and it started up again. Well it happened again a couple days later pulling the same trailer again on the main tank and again it started when i switched to the reserve tank. Finally yesterday while driving w/ out a trailer it happened again. I put diesel in the main tank immediatly after everytime it happened. The gas guage is now reading empty on both tanks even though I make sure I keep fuel in both tanks. Am I running it out of diesel? The low fuel light never came on prior to any of the stalls indicating I was running it out of diesel? Now the light wont shut off. Could it be a gas guage sending unit? Electical short? Fuel pump? Also sometimes when I start the truck, I cant roll the windows down and the stereo wont come on for a minute or two then bam music starts playing and I know I can roll my windows down??? Could the two be related? Sorry about the long first post. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Verlin

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
i honestly have no clue as to what to tell you....

but, the only thing that comes to mind is 'that is why someone got rid of it...did you buy it third party or at a dealership (if dealer) then i'd take it back - is there some kind of warranty they were offering - 90 days or something like that..
good luck-keep us posted

i am sure a gremlin technologist will be by shortly (no pun intended)

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anothen Texan. Welcome to SSD.com.
Glad to have you here. Sounds like you are having a power failure of some kind. Someone will be along soon with some ideals on this I am sure. Hang on.

bar*none

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I can kinda see how the filters could kill the truck but the truck fires right back up and runs for days on end on the reserve tank. Multiple road trips and four wheeler hauls. Maybe thats why they installed the reserve tank??:dunno I've had the truck for 2 months now and this just started happening. And only on the main tank. I'll order some filters just to be safe. And crawl under and try to drain the water out. I dont understand the screwy fuel gauge readings or the low fuel light staying on problem?? Where is the gas guage sending unit located? Someone on PSN suggested checking relays but which ones and where would they be??..........goes outside and beats head on truck bumper:dizzy

Last edited:

bar*none

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i have been having a problem with mine when it gets below a 1/4 tank. i believe it is the pick-up tube and found a kit from Diesel Innovations that i have yet to install(i've just been keeping it filled over a 1/4. You might check this out.

Diesel Innovations - Products
That sounds like the same problem as mine. I know theres still some diesel in the tank when it happens. It seems fine when I keep 1/4 - 1/2 tank of gas. Gonna have to order that kit also. Thanks:sweet
That kit says its for the 7.3. Could this still be happening to my 6.0??I dont think the electrical problem w/ my radio/window is related cause the truck still runs when this happens and its only when I first start it. The radio problem RARELY happens though. Keep the suggestions coming guys!

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that prepump filter would be solution
to a problem that is unique to the
7.3L motor...not the 6.0L.

bar*none - drop your tank when its
"low" (so it weights less)....pull
the float/pick up and see if the
pick up "foot" screen is clogged.

dropping the tank is an easy enough job...and while you have it down
you can "harpoon" the tank for
faster and more complete FILL UPS

Harpoon mod (In Tank Mod)

bar*none

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
that prepump filter would be solution
to a problem that is unique to the
7.3L motor...not the 6.0L.

bar*none - drop your tank when its
"low" (so it weights less)....pull
the float/pick up and see if the
pick up "foot" screen is clogged.

dropping the tank is an easy enough job...and while you have it down
you can "harpoon" the tank for
faster and more complete FILL UPS

Harpoon mod (In Tank Mod)

Thanks bushpilot, i've been using the reserve tank so the main tank ought to be low still. Will take a look at that tomorrow. I would do it today but it f@#$ing snowed today!!! It was 84* yesterday!! West Texas weather:rant

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58