Help! Truckis down

big bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
help!!!! eng quit running. replace fuel filter, valve cover gaskets along with the wiring harness's. put lap top on and started it up and it ran fine and the laptop showed that the #2 enjector was missing. went out three days later to start it and it wouldn't run for crap. check fuel filter for flow with the key turned on and no fuel flow. replaced the pump and still no fuel. what do i do next??? help??? thanks, happy trails, bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked your fuses and relays for the fuel pump? Also check and make shore your pumps power plug is pluged in and did not come unpluged. Dont ask how I know this.

dpantazis

Reaction score
d00d-

i moved this to a new thread. don;t hijack someone elses...

that being said, what year truck? any modifications?

we need more info to try and help you diagnose it.

check you oil? how are your batteries?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
...check fuel filter for flow with the key turned on and no fuel flow. replaced the pump and still no fuel.

How much fuel you got in the tank? Is it around 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
You may have to re-prime your new fuel pump also.

Take a shop vac and put the hose on the outlet of the unit so it blows air instead of sucking. Take the fuel cap off and using the shop vac, pressurize the fuel tank enough to make sure fuel is getting to the filter bowl.

If you don't get any fuel to the filter after doing that, then you likely have some sort of issue in the fuel tank.

big bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
full tank of fuel and i think ur right about issues with fuel tank pickup probe. blew out fuel line behind pump going to tank and heard a loud pop. attach fuel line to pump and now i've got fuel coming out of the pump. going to pull tank and cleaned it the best i can, also will will install a new pickup strainer and than see what happens. thanks for all the help. happy trails, bob

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you drop the tank.. Do a little SEARCH, for Tank Mods*. You might want to do a couple of them.. to improve the configuration of that whole set -up.. and snip off the vent tube to make filling the tank ALL the way up.. a snap.

:dunno

Joe

* the "Hutch" & "Harpoon" mods.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
blew out fuel line behind pump going to tank and heard a loud pop. attach fuel line to pump and now i've got fuel coming out of the pump. going to pull tank and cleaned it the best i can, also will install a new pickup strainer and than see what happens. thanks for all the help. happy trails, bob

Before you drop the tank.. Do a little SEARCH, for Tank Mods*. You might want to do a couple of them.. to improve the configuration of that whole set -up.. and snip off the vent tube to make filling the tank ALL the way up.. a snap.

:dunno

Joe

* the "Hutch" & "Harpoon" mods.

X2 what Joe said.

If you are going to drop the tank and open it up, it'd be a silly wasted opportunity to not do the 'Hutch' and 'Harpoon' mods. Just replacing the pickup snout, to be honest, makes very little sense.

The link below is the instruction sheet for a 'Hutch' mod kit with a pre-pump fuel filter. I'm neither endorsing or not endorsing this particular kit. (I did mine from scratch with parts I bought locally.) But it does have some outstanding pics of the tank fuel pickup as well as what is involved in doing the 'Hutch' mod.

Hutch Mod Instruction sheet

Trying to repair the existing setup won't fix the root problem of a poorly engineered fuel pickup in the tank. The 'Hutch' mod does fix that problem.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14