Help with fuel issue

Sawzall

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Good Morning, I need a hand diagnosing a problem with my '96 F250. My truck was idling away Saturday morning when I switched tanks (front to rear) to make sure it was full, the needle immediatly went to super max full (more needle deflection than when tank is overflowing). next I switched to front tank and went about my business ( who needs a fuel gauge when I have a trip Odom) short time later the truck started idling rough and fuel filter light comes on......... so I backed it back in its home and got a fuel filter on monday and installed it.....now won't run couple of other symptoms
1. Fuel bowl is empty and when the drain is opened as if it is sucking air
2. Humming noise coming from some device mounted on driver side frame rail in front of fuel tank
3. fuel gauge reading super ultra full in both tank psotions
4. checked evey fuse I could find, all good

thanks in advance for any help, every other question I've ever had I found the answer already here. this is by far the best forum around for powerstrokers

Toby

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
the humming is probably coming from the tank selector switch. It may be going out and that might be at least part of the cause of the other issues. You may have a bad pump too since the bowl is empty. I take it you mean it never fills back up after you close the drain and try to start it?

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
im far from any kind of expert but my recent experiences with my pump and tank selector (which is on the driver's rail) lead me to surmise they are part of the problem - if not entirely. Personally, i would try to diagnose the condition of the switch before I did anything on the pump. Seems like it could be possible the pump is not receiving fuel due to some other issue.

We have kind of exhausted my ability to help. I hope this steers you in the right direction.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
You'll need to isolate where the fuel stoppage is. Sounds like the selector valve is a good starting place due to the noise. Disconnect hoses and start checking to see if you get any fuel through.

Sawzall

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok I give, how does one remove the fuel lines from the selector solenoid.......I am presently try to resist using a 5llb hammer........ I pulled/pushed th small clip back, do I just need to pull harder,

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I give, how does one remove the fuel lines from the selector solenoid.......I am presently try to resist using a 5llb hammer........ I pulled/pushed th small clip back, do I just need to pull harder,
Did you squirt some slippery on them?.......

Careful not to break them...

Sawzall

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help fellas. Fuel tank switching solenoid was bad, replaced it (and about 2 of those goofy clips).......although steel lines and flare fittings would probly be worse. now time for some fun stuff ......bye bye kitty, how you doing tymar.:thumbs

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
so was that the entirety of the problem? wow. I made a good diagnosis?

glad you got it working properly. Let us know what you mod next!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg