Help with weird occurance

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
I have 2 questions here that I don't think are even closely related but I know I will great advice from all the gurus here:D

Here goes
Problem 1.
When driving down the road at a constant speed of about 30-40 mph I am getting a wobble. It is almost like I am riding a bike with bent rims. The steering wheel is moving about an inch back and forth and the gear shifter is shaking back and forth as well. Sometimes it will do this worse than others and sometimes it will feel sort of like I am riding on the reflectors as it will hop hop hop down the road. I got 40,000 on her and the tires are pretty worn. This just started happening within the last 100 miles. Is this a tire thing or am I getting some slop in my front end. I really don't want to pony up the $500 just to have it looked at. Also, could warped rotors cause this?

Problem 2
Went to fire it up a couple days ago and it would not fire, first time ever. So I get it to start the next time just like always. Shut her down and push in the trip button while the ingition is cycling to see any codes, nothing. Ok. 2 days later it is real cranking and stumbling and finally takes off. My computer cleared. My mileage calculations cleared and the thermometer went to 0degrees F and then climbed to 3 degrees. Next start up temperature is fine and no other problems with computer etc. I just got done changing the oil with Penzziol 15-40 like I always do about 2 weeks ago. Any ideas.

Oh yeah one more problem, went to pull the dipstick out after changing the oil and the damn metal wire pulled out of the handle, is this covered by the 100,000 engine warranty or am I going to have to pay for the dip stick?

Thanks bunches in advance:sorry its so long.

Trapper

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Trapper77 said:
I have 2 questions here that I don't think are even closely related but I know I will great advice from all the gurus here:D

Here goes
Problem 1.
When driving down the road at a constant speed of about 30-40 mph I am getting a wobble. It is almost like I am riding a bike with bent rims. The steering wheel is moving about an inch back and forth and the gear shifter is shaking back and forth as well. Sometimes it will do this worse than others and sometimes it will feel sort of like I am riding on the reflectors as it will hop hop hop down the road. I got 40,000 on her and the tires are pretty worn. This just started happening within the last 100 miles. Is this a tire thing or am I getting some slop in my front end. I really don't want to pony up the $500 just to have it looked at. Also, could warped rotors cause this?

I would say your tires are the cause of the problem. I would aslo inspect all the balljoints on the front end. The tires are probably chopped and out of balance.
Problem 2
Went to fire it up a couple days ago and it would not fire, first time ever. So I get it to start the next time just like always. Shut her down and push in the trip button while the ingition is cycling to see any codes, nothing. Ok. 2 days later it is real cranking and stumbling and finally takes off. My computer cleared. My mileage calculations cleared and the thermometer went to 0degrees F and then climbed to 3 degrees. Next start up temperature is fine and no other problems with computer etc. I just got done changing the oil with Penzziol 15-40 like I always do about 2 weeks ago. Any ideas.

You answered your own question there. Its the oil as far as the engine running rough and hard starting. Penzoil does not make an oil rated for diesels that I know of. From what I have read 6.0's are very sensative to the type of oil you run in them. I'm sure the 6.0 boys will chime in on this soon.

Oh yeah one more problem, went to pull the dipstick out after changing the oil and the damn metal wire pulled out of the handle, is this covered by the 100,000 engine warranty or am I going to have to pay for the dip stick?

Probably not but its worth a shot.

Thanks bunches in advance:sorry its so long.

Trapper

My answers are in red.

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
The Penzzoil is Diesel rated and is all that I have ever used, never had a problem with it before. I will try getting new tires and checking out the ball joints. What should i look for in the ball joints. Any idea on the computer stuff? Thanks

Trapper

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Trapper77 said:
The Penzzoil is Diesel rated and is all that I have ever used, never had a problem with it before.

I did a search and found they do make diesel oil, sorry about that. Some oils are more prone to foaming than others and I have heard others say it causes problems with 6.0's. I'm not saying penzoil is one of them just trying to help

I will try getting new tires and checking out the ball joints. What should i look for in the ball joints.

Jack the vehicle up, put it on stands. Try to see if there is any slop by moving the the front tires top to bottom, and side to side. Its takes a bit of a shove to find anyslop, if there is any, or hardly any at all if they are real bad.

Any idea on the computer stuff? Thanks

If could be related to the oil if foaming is the problem, or it could be many other things like weak batteries, corroded terminals.... I'm just throwing things out there. I'm not experienced with 6.0's but am trying to help tell the guru's get here for you.

Trapper

Bryan

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could your front end thingy be the steering stabilizer ?

$30 @ four wheel parts - might be worth trying...

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
Tires are the concern on the wobble if it goes away after 40 mph but if stays there the entire time driving then you have a servere front end problem. But from what your saying I will go with whatabudro on this on, tires. Replace or get them rebalanced. Rotors would cause this but only times I've seen them wobble is while braking. As for your oil I use Rotella 15w-40 and have always used it in all my diesels. As soon as I buy a new truck I change the oil immediately and it runs a little better to me. Penzoil is good in my opinion in small 4stroke equipment and some cars but in diesels it is crap. But if you like it thats your choice. Mine starts and the engine acts like it is missing really bad for about 5 seconds then clears up. It does this about once every 2 1/2 weeks. No problems justs air in the oil system. As for the guages acting funny who knows. My fuel guage got stuck the first day I got mine cause I left the truck on listening to the radio while filling up. But that is normal if you do that. Justs takes a little bit to get it up to full. whatabudro pretty much summed it up on checking the ball joints. You say you have 40,000 miles which means your engine warranty has the $100 copay as I call it. Just pay for the dipstick it should not be even near the $100 dollars.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Take a look at your tires and make sure you are not getting one of These.

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim