Help

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I have this rattle/buzz/metal on metal flipping sound that emanates from somewhere under the dash center area or over near the passenger side. It only occurs at down idling through 1100 rpm and sometimes upon acellerating slowly through 1100-1500
I have removed the glove box both of em plus the hook thing panel and cannot find any metal loose. I thought it was the upfittter relay panel but i isolated it with rubber and its solid with no rattles.
anybody have any ideas
its about to drive me completey over the edge
thanks
Rob

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
yep checked that first because of the ENORMOUS adjust period i had when the mbrp went in. its tight. but i have 1/2 from teh firewall pinch weld.
it really sounds like a heat shield rattle. but I havent found one under the dash or the cab floor
I like to drive with the radio off and listedn to her purr and its making me insane:D :eek:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
saturday i am taking the lower dash apart. I isolated the rattle somewhere in the passenger side dash towards the door. I drove around with the glove box open.
oh and what did they do to the cup holder. my 2002 you just took out the two screws and out she came. this one i removed the two screws and i cnat get it to budge.:confused:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
saturday i am taking the lower dash apart. I isolated the rattle somewhere in the passenger side dash towards the door. I drove around with the glove box open.
oh and what did they do to the cup holder. my 2002 you just took out the two screws and out she came. this one i removed the two screws and i cnat get it to budge.:confused:

Hi Rob,

FWIW, I had a Buzzzzz/metal to metal Gremlin thing with mine when I installed the 4" DP & exhst. Chased it for a week, found it to be: Down where the DP heads back, on that heat shield, when the engine would torque up, the T pipe would JUST touch the heat shield. I took a tire iron and tweaked the shield... Just a tad. Fixed. 70K, no issues.

This is on a 2K but I don't think yers would be much different ? Maybe ?

:dunno

JOE

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I am going to do a top down tonight after i fix teh shower.
the rpm range is right at 1300 coming down, and real soft spinning up past 1300
and today at lunch i picked up a weird hollow droan sound at 1500 to 1800 in the parking lot. sounded like a big metal tube getting hit with a rubber glove sort of there but deep and low resonance. I think teh mbrp is going to get another real close look
ITS driving me completly over the edge, its embarassing ratlle from teh engine is ok but not from teh rest of the truck.:eek: :eek:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Update to the rattle

Well Firday dog and I tore aprt the dash
First rattle device was the cup holder.
There is a metal strap about 2" x 6" that connects the lower edges of the two side plastice supports.
Well teh metal is bowed just enough to vibrate and rattle aginst the plastic and it sang pretty easy when i shook it. SO i fashioned a small rubber isolator and stopped rattle number 1
rattle number 2
the heat shield around the a/c plenum under the hood. It had enough free movement to resonate. so i placed a few extra small creases in the edges to add rigidity and a some isloting EDPM tape.
truck is tons quieter now, just the roar of the engine now and thats what i love to hear. was so happy i had to put a 100 miles on her to make sure:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58