help?

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try to describe this as best I can.

I was wondering if someone could provide me info pertaining to the hardware on the solid front axle (basically describe the hardware from the outboard of the wheel to the inboard) of the 99 s-duty 4x4.

Basically break it down for from the outside of the wheel to the center of the axle.

What is the names of the hardware on the other side of the hub, inboard side of the wheel?

Reason i ask is...I think I broke somethin in my front axle. Drivers side front wheel where the u-joints/cross and knuckle is. I can literally reach inside there and move that whole cross thing (but I'm not 100% sure what it's called). There's grease saturation around this section so I know I've found where the problem is.

It's vibrating, i can feel it through the floorboards and can hear it as well. I've parked the truck for now, but I'm going to take it to a shop tomorrow to have it examined.

if i can fix it myself, I'd like to. if anyone has info/diagrams/experience with working with this part of the truck, i'd apprecite the insight.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Mike, pm me your email address (do not post it) and I will send you what the Ford Service DVD has. I can not post here as it is copyright information.

Dave

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YouTube - U-Joint.MPG

Something like this? This is a vid of my front driver side axle. I would be driving down the road with a slight vibration, and when I hit a bumper it became 100 x's worse.

I took it to a mechanic and they said it was the needle bearings. My out-board axle got ate up. Ford didn't just sale the out board, one hole piece for $600. Someone on here told me that I could have found just the outboard on a parts site.

The mechanic put cheve needle bearings back in becuase he said they lasted longer. Parts+Labor=$1300

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
If you follow the link below to my webshots, I have a couple of photo albums where I converted to manual hubs and later when I converted to a Dynatrac front hubs. Between the two it should give you a better idea as to what is involved in tearing into the front hubs & axle joints.

FWIW, I might still have the stock outer splined axle shafts from when I did the Dynatrac conversion.

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a bad hub or needle bearing in the hub. It is a "free floating" axle, so there is no bearing at the outside of the axle tube to keep the axle shaft from flopping around when the hub bearings are shot.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I might still have the stock outer splined axle shafts from when I did the Dynatrac conversion.

TG, why do you have to change the outer part of the axle shaft for this to work? I have not done the Dynatrac conversion yet. Thanks.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58