Helwig - Before the lift or after?

Kelly Hancock

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have all the parts to lift my X and I am planning on doing that when the weather is a bit warmer. I got my hands on a pair of V codes off a 2004 super duty and 4 inch blocks to go with them. When I get around to it, I would also like to put on a sway bar. Seems I read somewhere that I should put the sway bar on after the lift. When is the correct time?

Wawuzat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You can install the anti-swaybar now, providing you don't shorten the drop-links 'cause you'll need the extra length later. The ideal installation would have the longitudinal arms of the swaybar parallel to the ground ... which cannot be finalized in your situation until later. OR ... you could always have a second set of drop-links made. With that much lift, you'll probably need drop-links longer than what came with the swaybar anyway. Good luck!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Kelly Hancock said:
I have all the parts to lift my X and I am planning on doing that when the weather is a bit warmer. I got my hands on a pair of V codes off a 2004 super duty and 4 inch blocks to go with them. When I get around to it, I would also like to put on a sway bar. Seems I read somewhere that I should put the sway bar on after the lift. When is the correct time?
Kelly,the 4" blocks on our Excursion was after the swaybar went on about a year earlier.

If your sway bar kit has the adjustable end links just extend em a couple notches after you put the blocks on:sweet

Fords4Me

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I put my rear bar on 2 days ago. I'll be lifting the truck the next time the wind stops on the weekend, it's not raining and above 45*.

The Hellwig I got didn't have adjustable links like they used to. For now I used the frame holes just above the ones I was supposed to use to get the bar level without shortening the links.

Huge difference. You won't believe it. Doesn't even feel like the same truck. And you steer it, it stops steering you.

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
Sway bar

The best performance from the sway bar will come from keeping the sway bar level with the ground. This puts the bar at it's best leverage point. After the 8" lift went on I got some tubing that fit tite over the link material. I just cut the with my die grinder, leveled her up with a floor jack, cut the tube to length and drilled it for plug welding and got-r-dun.

bosox fan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
what does the sway bar do for you with these excursions?

Newbie to the fords just trying to take in all the info I can. Thanks

CHPMustang

Reaction score
bosox fan said:
what does the sway bar do for you with these excursions?
Controls the side to side wishy washy feel especially when in a turn or off ramp.

Helps alot when towing also,keeps the truck in a straighter line:sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14