Here's what I did today.......

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed my 125 over to sand today. Took a lot longer than I thought it would, but boy oh boy am I happy with the results. Turns out my before pic never made it. But here is the after pic. I am sure it will be much better tomorrow after it settles in. On another positive note, I finally got to count EXACTLY how many Synodontis Petricolas I have in there! 12 :)

125withsand.jpg

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Kool........what did you have in there before and why did you change it???

Tbar

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbar, it's an african cichlid "community" tank. All in, there are about 40 total fish in there.

I didn't change any stock. Just the substrate from gravel to sand, and re aquascaped the rocks.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Tbar, it's an african cichlid "community" tank. All in, there are about 40 total fish in there.

I didn't change any stock. Just the substrate from gravel to sand, and re aquascaped the rocks.

Looks great............:sweet

Tbar

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
when you got a carp and a couple bucketmouths in there, call me..

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2 big differences between the sand and gravel are this:

1. Intake tubes for HOB and Cannister filters. Get them UP AND AWAY from the bottom of the tank. Sand and impellers don't mix.

2. Water changes. Gotta watch how close you get the siphon. I have very fine sand so it will get sucked up real easy. Heavier sand will stay put a little better, but you can still suck a bunch out if ya aint paying attention.

The one other thing ya gotta do is "swoosh" the sand around once a week or so. The sand is actually "heavy" and gets packed pretty dense so it allows buildup of bad gases. These if left undisturbed over long periods, when released can be really harmful to the fish. So by "swooshing" every now and then, you remove that buildup. Prior to "swooshing".....remember rule #1 !!! So just swoosh it enough to disturb it. Don't get nuts!

Last edited:

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice lookin tank you have there. I had a 200gal before with a white sand bottom. Loved that thing

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14