Hey CB guru's

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
I have a Cobra 29 NW and K40 mag mount, standing wave is just barly over 1

I am ok with CB's but by no means an expert. My CB is as good as you can get with the standing wave and is turned up a bit. but i want to reach out a bit more and i have a few questions:

Is anyone running a linear amp?
I have heard a linear amp will fry a PCM, true?
Do you need any other special equipment to run an amp?
Is my antenna ok to run an amp?

Thanks a bunch:thanks
Neal

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
im running a mirage 88 driveing an eastcoast amps 2 pill that dead keys at 200 watts and swings 500-550 watts while talking.

an amp will fry a pcm but its gotta be pushing alot of watts for that to happen.

depends on what size amp you wanna run.at idle you can hear my engine die down while talking.but i usually put it on high idle if im sitting in a parking lot.

not sure how many watts a K40 can handle but i think it would be OK with a 2 or 3 pill amp.i run a wilson 1000 with mine.my SWRs on channel 1 and 20 are flat and channel 40 just tickles the needle.i have been considering going to a predator 10K antenna.cuz i like to shoot skip and the predator is supposed to be one of the best antenna for shooting skip.

heres a couple websites for you to check out: www.cbradiotalk.com and www.wwpdx.com .my username on both is grease monkey

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Get it as far away from you pcm as possible. Ie - under the rear seat on the passenger side. Run all power and coax to the extreme far side as well.

I have talked with both the east and west coasts off my Wilson 5000.

Tbar

http://www.cbradioforum.com/index.cfm

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
:cop :cop :cop :cop :cop

Putting linear amplifiers on CB rigs is not only inconsiderate to other users, it's also illegal. There is a chance, although a slight one, that you could get caught by the feds. And the fines aren't cheap, they start at $5000 and go up from there.

But you CAN get a radio that will allow you to talk worldwide if you care to, it takes a bit of study to get an entry license, but not anything that the folks on this board can't handle.

Look here

With an SWR close to 1:1, I wouldn't complain. Putting the mag mount antenna in the center of the roof will give you a nice ground plane to work off of.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Very true! :D I haven't had a CB in my vehicles for years. Between the Nextel and the 2 meter /70 cm ham rig i'm a communicating fool.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
technically shooting skip is also illegal since you are transmitting further then the few miles you are legally allowed.i have become addicted to shooting skip :D

Oboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just mounted two hamsticks on the truck. Will be using my 706k2g mobile, working 20m and 40m. Will post photos later when I :GRD It looks like a rolling antenna farm. :thumbs

Mark 73's

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58