Hey Roy Boy

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
I have a John Deer 4 cylinder mounted on an Elgin street sweeper to run the sweeper components. There is a shroud that covers the motor and the only acess to the motor is when the box is in the air. The deer won't start, so I can't raise the box to check fuel filters and ect. -mad I have been trying to get it running, but it just cranks and cranks. Ether won't even help peck it off. Any suggestions?

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Sounds like one of those "fun" ones :D If you can't get at ANYTHING on the engine, you about need to use a forklift or something to get that box up an out of the way. I run into the same problem on some skid steers, but there is an extra port on the lift cylinders, I just connect a hose there and to another tractor, etc and lift the boom out of the way, with a hydraulic remote. I would think they have some sort of provision for getting that box out of the way, but maybe not.:rolleyes:
If there is no smoke, I bet it is out of fuel (did you check that FIRST? :tounge ) or the system is airlocked. If it has been sitting in storage all winter, I be the fuel leaked back out of the system. Loosen the bleed port on the filter head or the line at the injection pump and either crank (mechanical fuel lift pump) or turn the key on (electric) till you got a good STREAM of fuel. Then give it a shot.
If it IS smoking when you try to start, maybe try some ETHER (oops) and see if you get any life out of it. :sorry
Oh, I missed that you already tried that.

Did you check the air filter? If it is plugged tight, diesels start kinda hard.

Let me know what you find...-popcorn

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
It has been sitting for the winter and I am getting it ready for the sweeping season. There is very little smoke. The fuel is about 1/2 tank, but I am going to drain it and start fresh smells like tarnished gas :eek: . This thing ran fine in the fall. I have been looking to get the box raised up some how, but I can't get on the cylinder. This truck is a nightmare. I think I am going to cut the roof over the motor to gain acess from the top. I can go head first in and then drain air/water out of the fuel.

I can only see how this will end up.:rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58