hey speeder, what you know about this???

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Not to hy-jack but there's at least ONE, still operational in Cheyenne, Wo. I think it's Owned, Operated and maintained by the Union Pacific RR.

Been a couple years since I've heard anything though.

Saw it in Action near N Platte Neb.. A long while back.. Absolutely Amazing ! Especially if yer a Rail Fan. (like me) ;tu;tu

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Not to hy-jack but there's at least ONE, still operational in Cheyenne, Wo. I think it's Owned, Operated and maintained by the Union Pacific RR.

Been a couple years since I've heard anything though.

Saw it in Action near N Platte Neb.. A long while back.. Absolutely Amazing ! Especially if yer a Rail Fan. (like me) ;tu;tu

That would be the Challenger. A little smaller than the Big Boy UP uses it for promotional purposes.:sweet

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
The Challenger made an overnight stop in our town this fall and tanked up with water and fuel. You could book rides in it too. We used to be a big railroad town with a turn table, repair station, and big switching yard.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i watched a few vids on the challenger, wich is quite large as well. i would love to go check one of them out.

how did they get the coal to the front of the 8 mile long fire box?

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
i watched a few vids on the challenger, wich is quite large as well. i would love to go check one of them out.

how did they get the coal to the front of the 8 mile long fire box?

Coal was fed via an augar ( automatic stoker) through out the fire box. If the augar quit you were SOL with this locomotive. :eek:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be the Challenger. A little smaller than the Big Boy UP uses it for promotional purposes.:sweet

I'll stand corrected. But are you sure ? I thought fer sure there was Challenger's And Big Boy's at Cheyenne back in the day, and the U.P. used them both for the frieght pulls to Laramie and further west. :dunno

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
I'll stand corrected. But are you sure ? I thought fer sure there was Challenger's And Big Boy's at Cheyenne back in the day, and the U.P. used them both for the frieght pulls to Laramie and further west. :dunno

Back in the day UP did use the Big Boys and the Challengers in freight. UP saved one Challenger for promotional duties.;tu The rest were scrapped or donated to museums.

A little side note. The Big Boy could easily pull a 100 car train at 70+ mph.:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58