Question hey TG is this your old plane

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
A Bleed Air driven Generator or Hyd pump ????

Ding,Ding,Ding,Ding,Ding,Ding!!!
We have a winner!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'm not that familiar with the older BUFF's to know where exactly where the pnematically driven generator or hydraulic packs were located. But I think the generator packs were in the fuselage and the hydraulic packs were in the wings.

In any case, they were driven by bleed air from the engines. The problem with that system was the need for pneumatic bleed air ducting going all over the aircraft. With the F model, the pneumatic generator packs were replaced by engine driven generators and hydraulics. That eliminated the fire hot bleed air getting piped all over the aircraft.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
After further research, I found out that B-52 is a B model which makes it quite a bit older than I thought. The pic of the gunner's compartment looked like an MD-9 Fire Control System (FCS). I thought that an older type FCS was used on B & C model B-52's. The MD-9 FCS is virtually the same system as the ASG-15 that I used on the B-52G.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ding,Ding,Ding,Ding,Ding,Ding!!!
We have a winner!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'm not that familiar with the older BUFF's to know where exactly where the pnematically driven generator or hydraulic packs were located. But I think the generator packs were in the fuselage and the hydraulic packs were in the wings.

In any case, they were driven by bleed air from the engines. The problem with that system was the need for pneumatic bleed air ducting going all over the aircraft. With the F model, the pneumatic generator packs were replaced by engine driven generators and hydraulics. That eliminated the fire hot bleed air getting piped all over the aircraft.

:clap: YeeHaaa :clap:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since he wins, Joe gets to pick what's behind either Door #1, Door #2, or Door #3!!!:D

YeeHaaa... again :lmao

While in the "Bees", setting up Temp Forward Operating Bases (FOB's) in remote places 'round the World, we would get these Mega Mondo-Megawatt, Turbine powered, Mobil Power Generation Units... from the USAF. They had several of those Bleed Air powered, aux power pacs hanging on them for various, "if needed" uses. Electrical, Air and Hydraulic pressure capable.. depending.

We were told they came off of Old B-52's.. (and other A/C).

Thats where I'd seen'm before.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is OLD school, but again the 52 aint no spring chicken like big joe and I :D,

navy ea6b used bleed air for everthing under the sun as well, PITA to work on.

Roger That PB.. On the "Spring Chicken" ;tu:lmao

As I remember it.. those Aux Pac things were a PITA too.. kept blowing the Asbestos donut gaskets & seals. When they did.. the Whole Damn unit would shut down (we jerry rigged a fix for that though) (you didn't hear that from me however):innocent ;) :lmao:lmao

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14