Newbie Hey there !

DaveH

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, new 08 f350 6.4 owner here, im new to diesel so i dont now much about them i am fair with gasoline engines but this is a whole new ball of wax, i just bought the truck its got 151,000 on it have no clue if anything has been done to it , i know it doesnt have a delete done to it so im guessing completely stock. i changed the fuel filters and put a new radiator cap on it but thats it , i hope to get to know some of you and i'll be a sponge for information learning this new beast, the reason i bought this truck was because i have a camper and boat set up i'll be hauling around. Anyway Hi and i'll see ya around on the threads.
Dave.
IMG_0381.jpg

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard DaveH... you came to the right place to sop-up info about Dezel'z ;tu;tu

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:welcome DaveH, from one Dave to another. We are glad you found us. As Joe said, this is the place!

Dave

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome DaveH, glad to have you here. Just take good care of your truck and it will take good care of you.
Change oil and filters every 5000 miles and most of us will tell you to stay with the Motorcraft filters.
Quite a few of us have campers and boats, do you have a fiftwheel or bumper pull? Hope you come back often.
Doug

DaveH

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, i appreciate it, i did stick with Motorcraft fuel filters and have them for the upcoming oil change as well. I have a piggyback camper 10 1/2 ft an old heavy caveman and planning on pulling a little 16 ft runabout boat as well. I haven't loaded the camper on it yet so ive yet to see how it handles it, i'm a little curious i just saw a f350 with a camper on it and it was sagging pretty good, i was surprised , not sure what he had inside the camper but must have been led.
Doug how does your 6.0 handle the 35ft trailer your pulling ?

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave, I think it does a real good job pulling it up and down hills around here, never been to CO. with this one, but down though MS,AL,GA, North and South Carolina, then up though and across KY. I was very pleased with the way it pulled our 5th wheel. As anyone would tell you I would love better MPG's, but it stays at 9.5 to 10.1 MPG and my trailer is 102 wide and 13.2 tall.

Doug

Farmerjon

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a piggyback camper 10 1/2 ft an old heavy caveman and planning on pulling a little 16 ft runabout boat as well. I haven't loaded the camper on it yet so ive yet to see how it handles it, i'm a little curious i just saw a f350 with a camper on it and it was sagging pretty good, i was surprised , not sure what he had inside the camper but must have been led.
Hi Dave. We also have a truck camper. We pull our Jeep or a 2 horse trailer behind ours.We haven't put it on our 2015 F350 yet, but have carried it to both sides of the country with our 2000 f350. The only suspension things we have done is replaced the worn out shocks when they were 10yrs old and added some 2inch blocks to the overload bumper pads. Torklift has stable loads to do the same thing.
They really help with the sag and the side to side rocking since they engage the overloads sooner. If your truck doesn't have overload springs you might want to get some, wrecking yards are a good source.
One thing I noticed on your truck is what seems to be stake pocket tie downs for the camper. The newer truck's beds aren't as strong as the older beds were. You might check into Torklift or Hapijac tie downs. We use the Torklifts
Our camper is smaller then yours. It's 9 1/2ft and weighs 3500lbs wet. You will need a hitch extension to connect your boat.
Jon

DaveH

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info, Jon the tie downs are not true stake pocket type, they sit over the rail and clamp on the inside of the bed wall , i did notice that the bed was a little thinner walled than the old trucks. i am looking into the torklift frame mounted ones , just a matter of finances at the moment. This weekend we're going to haul it camping and see how it handles, was planning on bringing the boat as well but looks like the weather is going to get pretty windy so i think im gonna leave her at home this trip. i loaded the camper on and it barely sagged the truck at all ,was good to see. As far as mpg goes i filled up the other day and was right at 13.5 mpg. that's 3.5 better than my old GMC gas. So i figure im right about even with the fuel price difference. Here im paying 2.81 a gallon for diesel and regular gas is 2.44. i do have a hitch extension for the boat , i had to buy an extension wiring for the boat and a pig tail to be able to plug both camper and boat in however.
thanks for the replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr