HFCM Help again..

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me start out by saying that I know my way around fasteners, nuts, bolts, drills, taps, threading equipment and the like. I have been in the building trades for almost 12 years. I got into the trade right out of high school. I also enjoy wrenching on my personal vehicles when i have the time. I do consider myself more mechanically inclined than a lot of folks. However...I am having a hard time with the drain plug for the HCFM. It got completely stripped (I only finished the job started by someone else)so naturally I figured(along with some help) that an ez out would be my best bet.:sly This afternoon I tried to remove the stripped screw. I first sprayed on a little penetrating oil to help and then successfully drilled and got the ez out completely seated. I tried the largest 2 piece ez out I could find. When I tried to remove it... The whole assembly kept trying to fly off of the frame rail and the brass screw refused to budge.:( It kept on like this for about 5 seperate attempts until (surpise,surprise) The ez-out broke off. :rant Now the threaded end is locked into the screw and I am left with a broken piece of the shaft. This screw feels like it is welded in. I have the upgraded hfcm screw waiting to go in and as of now their is no fuel leaking out from around the ez-out(as of yet).

My questions are as follows::dizzy

1. Can i use compressed air or something similar to try to "FREEZE" the screw- Hoping that it contracts and i can use channelocks on the broken ez out to remove the screw???

2. I dont know the last time the hfcm was drained (i bought it used) what will happen if the water in fuel light comes on and i havent yet managed to remove the screw?

3. If i buy a FASS or something of that nature will it replace the whole hfcm assembly/unit or are they to be used in conjunction with one another?

4. I really would like fix this without taking it to a dealer...Is it possible?

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated as this is my daily driver. She is an 04 350 srw supercab fx4 auto with 44,000 on the clock....Please help! Thanks in advance...

atk

Reaction score
1....liquid nitrogen will work better(if you can get hold of some...wear gloves)
2....may give you some running issues
3....the FASS system will replace the HFCM system completely
4....buy a new end cap that the drain plug goes into to

i had the same problem when i bought my truck. i still had full warranty and they replaced the whole end cap....it also might be covered under the diesel engine warranty, worth checking into too....not sure what they will say about the easy-out stuck in the drain plug....hope this helps some....

Last edited:

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the "upgraded" bolt waiting to go in...Now i just have to get a hold of the cover. Thanks for all of the help-I'd be lost without it!!:)

F350newbie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance on diesel vechicle abreviations. What is a FASS?

Another question along Desert Eagles challenge. Where do I find info on how to remove HCFM cover without busting it or any attached parts?

Sorry for all the questions...not trying to hijack desert eagles thread.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
FASS = Fuel Air Seperator System

Both the FASS units and Airdog units, will remove all the airbubble from your fuel, helping the truck to run smoother, potentially increase injector life, and power/mileage

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE-

I gave up on removing the seized drain plug and called my local dealer to see if i could buy the cover to the fuel pump seperately from the whole unit. The parts guy said he didnt think so but to stop in and talk to the diesel mech for his opinion/expertise. I did and the mech knew right away what my problem was before I could even finnish explaining it to him. He scheduled an appointment for service to give the truck a once over and lo and behold I picked up the truck with a bunch of new parts!

They installed:
1. A brand new fuel pump(the new drain plug isnt brass)-They even put it in with my upgraded plug from dfuser...:D
2. Both fuel filters- I provided them(genuine motorcraft):D
3. A brand new egr valve (not sure why):dunno
4. They also reflashed the computer :watchout

All of the above cost me 100 bucks for the warranty deductable and the cost of the filters(59.99) and drain plug(20). :DSWEET:D Plus it was in at 630 am and the truck was back in my posession by 130pm ON THE SAME DAY!!!!

Let me say the truck is running stronger than ever and seems to be a lot smoother as well. I think (i havent driven it enough yet to check) that my fuel economy might also benefit a little from this. I am very grateful to be able to do business with such an awesome/competent dealer as I have heard many horror stories about other dealers! Anyone near my area needing warranty work pm me and ill get you the info on the dealer/mech.

I will reccomend anyone I know in the market for a new vehicle to this dealer. Talk about customer satisfaction. :sweet

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a good SERVICING dealer <are they slow on work?>
Id be takin' that mechanic some donuts or beer on friday !

fwiw....its not a fuel pump...its the HFCM (horizontial fuel conditioning module)
its specific function is to filter fuel & sep. the water and to HEAT the fuel (reducing gel)

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
x2, Bush. The first time mine gave up the ghost I tipped the tech and brought the guys in the shop some good beer, and the second time it had issues I got the truck back with all kinds of other re-call work and flashes done to it in record time. It had even been washed. A little PR goes a long way. Good to hear, desert50eagle, glad you got it sorted out.

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a good SERVICING dealer <are they slow on work?>
Id be takin' that mechanic some donuts or beer on friday !

fwiw....its not a fuel pump...its the HFCM (horizontial fuel conditioning module)
its specific function is to filter fuel & sep. the water and to HEAT the fuel (reducing gel)

Not sure if they were slow (most of the bays were occupied) but I will be definately popping in there on friday with COLD BEER AND DONUTS!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14