hi folks, new member here.

suz1023

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hello all,
i'm suse and i drive a 2002 F-350 4x4 lariet srw long bed supercab 7.3.
this truck is for sale as i have bought myself a new superduty which is a full size crew cab and dually, so even bigger than what i'm used to tooling around in.

i admit i merely drove my 02 for ten years without knowing a dang thing about diesels.
i want to do better by this truck so will be hanging around every ford board i can until some of the lingo starts to sink in.
right off she'll need new tires soon, as the originals are still on. plus i need to check the cps situation.
i notice she doesn't have as much power as my 02, is that because of the extra weight from the dual wheels?
my mechanic did get under and poke around, he told me buying her was a no brainer, she's that new still.

i drive my truck almost daily and have a 27' gn 4 horse rig i haul all over new england pretty regularly.

here is a picture of my new rig.
http://burlington.craigslist.org/grd/3275128204.html

thanks for reading.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:welcome3 suz1023. What truck and motor did you get? The 6.7 is supposed to be a great pulling motor and should easily out pull any 7.3.

Dave :)

suz1023

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i bought a 2001 7.3 superduty. full four doors, long bed dually with 42 thousand miles. garaged winters, new brakes and batteries but original tires,lol.

my trailer is a custom built 2002 hawk gooseneck. 20' on the floor gooseneck with dual ramps, fully matted, 4' dressing room and two escape doors.
both are oxford white and soon enough the new truck will have bronze trim to match the pony palace.

WOOT!!!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I see what you are saying. My guess is the 2001 is heavier being a dually. You can have a tuner installed that will help with power AND mileage! Many people here drive 7.3's and love them.

Dave :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard suse.. :sweet

With only 42K on yer New To You 7.3.. you've got a TON of miles left in that 01.

Lots of things can be done to make it run & pull better.. first thing would be Boost, EGT and Transmission temp Gauges.. so you can monitor engine and Trans related limits.

Joe

suz1023

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yup, 2001 w/42 thousand miles and no rust was a no brainer,lol.

could you tell me what BOOST and EGT are? i really am new at this!
though i do know what transmission gauges are, and need to learn what range is acceptable, preferable, and what is to avoided at all costs.
thanks.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The boost gauge reads the pressure that the turbo is making at that moment. This is for information mostly. The EGT gauge reads the Exhaust Gas Temperature. This is the gauge that you want to be checking when you are pulling your trailer up a hill. In general, 1200°F is the most you want to see. Your pistons will start to melt at 1250°F. Now there is a whole bunch of other things that go along with the temperatures of the exhaust, like where the thermo-coupler is mounted; pre-turbo or post-turbo. Pre is better. That should give you a quick look.

Dave ;tu

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup, 2001 w/42 thousand miles and no rust was a no brainer,lol.

could you tell me what BOOST and EGT are? i really am new at this!
though i do know what transmission gauges are, and need to learn what range is acceptable, preferable, and what is to avoided at all costs.
thanks.

What Dave said, and..

On your stock 7.3, when you install gauges.. yul learn what temps are normal.. unloaded. Those temps will be your Baseline. Most gauges will have a "Redline" for Max temps and limits. With a set of the mentioned gauges.. yul learn to operate/drive yer truck within those temps & limits.

It's very important that you Know those "normal".. and under load.. limits & temps.

The next improvement, after gauges could probably be.. Letting your 7.3 "Inhale" better.. with a better than stock.. Intake and air-filter set-up... and "Exhale" better.. with a 4", low restriction.. exhaust system.

Just an opinion ? Go Slow.. one or two improvements at a time.. see what they do for you, in relation to what you want from your 350. These PSD's come to us VERY generic.. but have alot of potential.. with some basic improvements that are still within Legal Limits ?

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14