Hi pitched squeal....not my wife

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is starting to occur a little more often...

Going up hill, at any DP chip setting, loaded or empty, warm ambient temps (live @ 6000'..) and downshifting to "passing gear" which brings the RPMs up I get a loud high pitched metallic squeal that ends as soon as I get off the throttle even a very small amount. No smoke, CELs, power losss or any other symptoms. Seems to be on the drivers side of the engine compartment.

I thought initially it might be a loose belt because it seemed to start right after the dealer put a new one on about a year ago. But that seems tight. No other new issues either.....

Any ideas??

Thanks

Mike

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is starting to occur a little more often...

Going up hill, at any DP chip setting, loaded or empty, warm ambient temps (live @ 6000'..) and downshifting to "passing gear" which brings the RPMs up I get a loud high pitched metallic squeal that ends as soon as I get off the throttle even a very small amount. No smoke, CELs, power losss or any other symptoms. Seems to be on the drivers side of the engine compartment.

I thought initially it might be a loose belt because it seemed to start right after the dealer put a new one on about a year ago. But that seems tight. No other new issues either.....

Any ideas??

Thanks

Mike

You might wana spray a little Belt Dressing, or rub some hand soap (Ivory works best*) on that belt......

And/Or, it could be yer turbo screaming for air, due to the thin air.... you'd hardly hear it with the stock air filter/intake set-up.. but with the AFE (type)you will.

Mine would scream some going over Donner Pass, and other passes, with the open air set up I had. Now, with the AIS.. I barely can hear it.

:dunno

Joe

* Ol' Guy Stuff ;):lmao

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm

I haven't changed my sig, but I dumped the AFE for an AIS. Same reason and now that ya mention it, the timeframe fits. That doggone AFE sounded like an F-15 in full mil power when I was goin up the summit too...Makes sense that the sound changed....Will have to see if it occurs down in the valley next week.
But will try the belt dressing also.
Now that I think of it, when I kick out the OD (which I can now do thanks to the steering column wiring fix put out here on SDD!!) it also doesnt happen. Less air hunger I'm thinking.
Thanks alot! :clap::clap::clap:

Mike

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup

Tightened all the clamps couple days ago, sprayed belt dressing n so far no noise......Havent really pushed it tho in the last few days.
Will load check it tomorrow- gonna move 4 bulls to another pasture up a pretty good grade. And it's freakin hot here, tho did have a little thunder/rain this afternoon. :D

Thanks for all the advice!! I was worried it mite be the turbo goin south or something equally bad.

I agree, Dieselsite is the greatest, but already have 2 gadgets sitting on the workbench waiting to install. Boots are next, I'm thinkin.

Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14