Hi Torque starter

Deadman514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a search...
Having starting issues even in the warm weather. Batteries test fine but when I go to crank -amps drop down to 8. I'm thinking the starter may be going.

I hate replacing parts with stock parts. Makes me feel like I spent money on nothing. I'd rather upgrade.

All the starters I've found show for my year (2001) but I also see a "will not work on Powerstroke" label. What's the difference?

Anyway -anyone out there know where to find a (preferably mini) hi-torque starter for a 2001 Powerstroke?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
For the 2001 year, there is ONLY the Powerstroke motor of a diesel. Do they mean GAS MOTORS ONLY? If so go with Ford starters or their rebuilds. Did you LOAD TEST each battery separately? This is the ONLY way to test these batteries. They must be replaced in PAIRS ONLY or the older battery will kill the new one in short time. They are really one battery in two places.

Dave

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Did a search...
Having starting issues even in the warm weather. Batteries test fine but when I go to crank -amps drop down to 8. I'm thinking the starter may be going.

I hate replacing parts with stock parts. Makes me feel like I spent money on nothing. I'd rather upgrade.

All the starters I've found show for my year (2001) but I also see a "will not work on Powerstroke" label. What's the difference?

Anyway -anyone out there know where to find a (preferably mini) hi-torque starter for a 2001 Powerstroke?

amps
huh? :dunno
do you mean it drops to 8 volts cranking?
if it does, you got a couple of junk batteries

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
and yes, the starter could be going..
you could also have high resistance in the system as well, but you need to start somewhere

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The ball is in your court, Deadmen. Get your batteries retested RIGHT and then you will know what is your problem. No "High Torque" Starter will help you until you do your part to fix YOUR truck.

Dave

Deadman514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the flames on the Amp mistake and the fix MY truck thing. Hope it made you feel better...didn't do anything to help me. I hope I can return the favor in the future.

Popped two new batteries to test...
Seems like it's the starter.
Back to my original question.
Any recommendations on upgraded starters?

dpantazis

Reaction score
d00d, easy with the attitude.

what starters have you looked at? iirc, the nippon is like $400, and yeah, its a great high torque starter- but at the price of two stock units do you really need it? a wiz bang starter might make you feel better, but if its a basically stock motor, do you NEED the extra umpf? if its starting hard, i'll bet you a frosty beverage you can fix it by spending less than a new starter.

did you check the rest of the starter system? wires, cables, solenoids?

remember, these trucks NEED to be driven. weekend drivers eat starters from sitting around too much.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Thanks for the flames on the Amp mistake and the fix MY truck thing. Hope it made you feel better...didn't do anything to help me. I hope I can return the favor in the future.

Popped two new batteries to test...
Seems like it's the starter.
Back to my original question.
Any recommendations on upgraded starters?

I wasn't trying to flame anyone, I was just asking..

if you want a hopped up starter, one of the best places to start is an electrical motor place. You may even be lucky enough to find one that specializes in automobile electrics.

But to be honest, mine's an off the shelf NAPA unit.

Deadman514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ball is in your court, Deadmen. Get your batteries retested RIGHT and then you will know what is your problem. No "High Torque" Starter will help you until you do your part to fix YOUR truck.

Dave

Sorry...this post just rubbed me the wrong way -suggesting I didn't test right or do my part to fix my truck. Wasn't called for IMO.
JLDickmon -I know...I shouldn't have included you in that. Thanks for catching it.

Anyway...
My truck's a daily driver. If I let it sit more than a day I'm crossing my fingers that it starts. I checked the cables, solenoids, etc. It all seems good (changed solenoids just to be sure).

I'm not sure the difference between these two (other than $200).

17802 Final Selection Page: SAASE Starter and Alternator Sales Enterprises

Ford Super Starter

Thanks for your responses (even you DaveBen -I know you meant well).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14